News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I started drinking coffee around a year ago, but I haven't drank any from Tim Horton's yet, so I can't comment and its quality. I only drink it at home so I make it myself. The reason I started drinking coffee was because I saw Zavida Hazelnut Vanilla in Costco and hazelnut and vanilla together sounded really good, and I still drink that only.

Sandwiches you can obviously make at home very easily. I never saw the point of buying sandwichs someone else made. People actually waste their money on stupid things like sandwiches. It is hard to understand.

When I was younger, not coffee, not sandwiches, but doughnuts were the main reason to go to Tim Horton's. Doughnuts were what I associated with the Tim Horton's name, but their doughnuts have been crap for years. Small, dry, frozen crap with melting icing. I get doughnuts from Country Style now. There's also Krispy Kreme near my house.

There's also Krispy Kreme near my house.

Lucky and dangerous at the same time. When I was working I often had to go into Peel and dare not go home without a dozen. Their coffee is nothing to write home about, though.

I only drink black coffee now, after gaining some weight from all the double doubles when I was an on the road sales guy in Atlantic Canada back in the early 2000s. One frustration with black coffee is you know it's fast to prepare but being stuck behind one of those ridiculous folks at Starbucks ordering the Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato. It's nice though to see the Barista's smiling relief afterward when I come up next and ask for "one Tall Pike Place please".

Being an expat Brit I grew up drinking tea (milk and sugar, sometimes black) but when my daughters were born I switched to coffee because it was free and easy at the office, and I was dead tired. My favourite coffee story was in 2006 when I flew to Israel from Fredericton (via Toronto) and arrived so very tired, and my customer took me to a gas station and got me the most powerful coffee with black sludge in the bottom. I drank that and though I could defend the Golan Heights all on my own!

I notice that Tim Hortons is now selling chicken sandwiches (and Timmies' offering is nowhere near the best among chicken sandwiches, especially given that sister chains Burger King and Popeyes make much better chicken sandwiches than Timmies).

I have a feeling that Timmies is preparing itself to compete with Chick-fil-A once the latter comes to Canada (though Timmies and Chick-fil-A co-exist in the United States for over a decade (mostly in the northern states), with some being either next to each other, across the street or parking lot from each other, or replacing each other in individual locations).

Shawn Mendes will be on all Tim Hortons coffee cups starting tomorrow

Sean Davidson, CTV News Toronto
Published Thursday, August 29, 2019 11:17AM EDT

Sigh, maybe they could focus on making their cups recyclable or biodegradable rather than slap some entertainer’s face on the cups.

Video: How Tim Hortons became a coffee shop darling in Canada but not in the US

Published Wed, Sep 4 2019 12:29 PM EDT
Kate Sprague

Video: How Tim Hortons became a coffee shop darling in Canada but not in the US

Published Wed, Sep 4 2019 12:29 PM EDT
Kate Sprague

No surprise there. The US has way more and better coffee chains than Canada.

Caribou Coffee is my fave, i wish we had that chain in Canada.

Not surprising. The Beyond Meat product does not hold a candle to actual meat. Nice idea but likely not a big seller.

I got the chicken strips at Tims a couple of weeks ago. They were nothing more than breaded chicken nuggets.

Not surprising. The Beyond Meat product does not hold a candle to actual meat. Nice idea but likely not a big seller.

I got the chicken strips at Tims a couple of weeks ago. They were nothing more than breaded chicken nuggets.

Beyond Meat is broadly fine - I'd gladly pick it over regular beef without much regret; Tim Horton food on the other hand isn't - I wouldn't eat their breakfast sandwiches meat or fake meat.

AoD

The Beyond Meat products are a huge success at A&W, they actually taste pretty good. The reason they failed at Horton's is because the quality of the "meat" was terrible. It looked and tasted like low grade dog food.

Beyond Meat is broadly fine - I'd gladly pick it over regular beef without much regret; Tim Horton food on the other hand isn't - I wouldn't eat their breakfast sandwiches meat or fake meat.

AoD

I still recall the days where they made actual pies and cakes. They had refridgerated cakes and pies at the front counter along with eclairs. Presentation was everything and there was no sloppiness when it came to the icing on the donuts like there is today.

That said, I recall when they first started selling sandwiches in the 1990s. It was a big deal and designed to compete with Druxys, Country Style and Coffee time who were at the time selling packaged sandwiches.

They are great but their prepared foods will be their downfall. The reason Starbucks works so well is that they don't make sandwiches, bagels and everything to order, they take it from the fridge and heat it up. What you get is what you get. They focus on coffee and it works well.

Tims on the other hand has the made to order sandwiches, bagels etc and half the time they are improperly made or not very edible (think overtoasted bagels). I have yet to go to a Tim Hortons where someones order was not screwed up (Bagels, sandwiches, soups, etc).

One of my biggest peeves with Tim Hortons is their restrooms. So tiny, with just a single urinal, broken lock on stall, usually filthy, and those terribly loud hand dryers and then no way to open the door without touching the piss-encrusted door handle.

One of my favourite things about roadside eateries in the US is that their restrooms are always clean and maintained.

Nothing can beat the cleanliness of public restrooms in Iceland. Definitely the best collective condition of any country I've visited before.

Back