News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Maybe for an esports team?
Actually yes. I know absolutely nothing about this form of entertainment but what I do know is that they are starved of good venue spaces, are rapidly growing in popularity, and there is a lot of money involved.

A dedicated sizeable capacity e-sports facility in a city like Toronto, that could be repurposed for other acts every now and then, could well be a very successful venture.

Might not have as many seats as discussed earlier, but to take an existing esports stadium under construction (Fusion Arena in Philadelphia) that has a capacity of 3500. But does have some fancy pictures

fusion-arena-exterior.jpg

fusion-arena-bowl.jpg

Toronto has both an extensive streetcar system and an extensive subway system. Not many cities in the world have both extensive streetcar systems and extensive subway systems.
It is a relatively rare combination that includes Boston, Philadelphia and Moscow, and one day to be joined by NYC's Brooklyn–Queens Connector. This reminded me of Hong Kong, where each time I've gone I've taken the subway to one end and the double decker streetcars back to my hotel. Of course I'm not going back to Hong Kong anytime soon.

Are Toronto's streetcars a tourist draw? Maybe, other places seem to be, https://www.europeanbestdestinations.com/best-of-europe/most-beautiful-trams-in-europe/ and we have toys https://spacingstore.ca/collections/stuff/products/ttc-streetcar-toy

Last edited:
In 5-10 years Dundas Square will look like a total dump and will have to be revitalized again.
It's a dump now. I've given up parking in the Green P lot there because everytime I use the stairs they smell like piss, and when you exit there's rubbish, mentally ill folks muttering to themselves, beggars, and addicts laying about thanks to the safe injection site. Can you imagine putting a safe injection site in NY's Times Square or London's Trafalgar Square? In Toronto we abandon so many public spaces to the sh#tty side of society, as if we're embarrassed to have have good things.

The Green P could be cleaned up easily enough. First of all sanitize the clean that space, staff or close the toilets (given by the stench of urine in the stairwell no one is using the toilets), post security at the stairwell exit to keep loiters out. But maybe this is the cost of being in downtown Toronto, a city often encamped by addicts and crazies, smelling like piss and covered in rubbish. For now I park at the Green P across from St. Michael's Hospital and walk to the Eaton Ctr, from there, navigating by more addicts and beggars, but manageably so.

Having lived around the corner from both Trafalgar Square and Times Square, I can assure you that there are no fewer of the people you describe in those places than in Dundas Square.

Toronto gets lots wrong, to be sure, but I just find this brand of Toronto bashing so thoroughly boring and frustrating in its complete lack of perspective.

Having lived around the corner from both Trafalgar Square and Times Square, I can assure you that there are no fewer of the people you describe in those places than in Dundas Square.

Toronto gets lots wrong, to be sure, but I just find this brand of Toronto bashing so thoroughly boring and frustrating in its complete lack of perspective.
As a Torontonian for the last 20 years I agree that there is, on the surface, a lack of tourist attractions here BUT we still attract LOTS of tourists so are clearly appealing to many. The most recent figures I can quickly find are:

Toronto welcomed a record 43 million visitors in 2017
Toronto says visitors to the city last year spent close to $9B
Desmond Brown · Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:33 PM ET | Last Updated: January 24, 2018
From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...-record-43-million-visitors-in-2017-1.4501626

As a Torontonian for the last 20 years I agree that there is, on the surface, a lack of tourist attractions here BUT we still attract LOTS of tourists so are clearly appealing to many. The most recent figures I can quickly find are:

Toronto welcomed a record 43 million visitors in 2017
Toronto says visitors to the city last year spent close to $9B
Desmond Brown · Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:33 PM ET | Last Updated: January 24, 2018
From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...-record-43-million-visitors-in-2017-1.4501626

I've mentioned my thoughts on this before............but how about we hear from a newcomer?

Over in the cycling thread I linked to a Cycle Toronto feature on the City's new Cycling and Pedestrian infrastructure manager, Becky Katz, who is an American, raised in NYC, but having worked in Dubai and for the last several years, Atlanta.

She's been here about 2 months.

This is what she had to say about her first impressions of her new home....

"Toronto is pretty amazing. The diversity and vibrancy has made me feel right at home. There is almost too much to eat, explore and experience. I feel overwhelmed with options and I will need lots of recommendations from everyone. Toronto's natural resources are amazing. I loved living in Atlanta, Georgia and it truly became home, but there was no water in sight! Last weekend, I biked to Bluffer's Park in Scarborough - and was just in awe. "

I find this brand of Toronto bashing so thoroughly boring and frustrating...
A public square need not smell of urine and be frequented by addicts, beggars and the insane. It‘s a shame you find the recognition of this frustrating and boring, but if we don’t identify the issue we can’t address it.

A public square need not smell of urine and be frequented by addicts, beggars and the insane. It‘s a shame you find the recognition of this frustrating and boring, but if we don’t identify the issue we can’t address it.

I’m not denying the existence of it, I’m refuting the assertion that it’s a uniquely Toronto problem.

I’m not denying the existence of it, I’m refuting the assertion that it’s a uniquely Toronto problem.
Yeah.....I don't know about you guys but every train station I've visited in Europe is.....um....hilarious, if you know what I mean.

I'll never forget the wall of piss stench that nearly floored me as I exited Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof. Foooookin 'ell
After I had collected myself, I went to light a cigarette only to be immediately "accosted" by a homeless geezah. Gave him a Belmont, straight from Toronto. Ambassador-style.

Anyway, AdmiralB, you'd love Frankfurt. :)

In the Ontario Place thread it was mentioned the possibility of turning the Cinesphere into more than just a movie venue, but into a Museum of Film.

It is an intriguing idea (and not just because it would hopefully safeguard the structure from any irreverent notions of demolition), as there are not that many museums of the type internationally, and none in this region that I am aware of, so it would therefore be a rather unique attraction. The film industry obviously has a strong presence in Toronto's economy and connection to culture through TIFF, and the Cinesphere is a first-of-its-kind type of monument, so such a Museum would not feel so out of place in this city either.

It could be an opportunity to create another unique tourism draw for the City.

It is very difficult to fill a space of that size with acts - and the ones that could aim for even larger crowds that ACC or Rogers (or even Budweiser) can handle.
Has Rogers Centre now largely abandoned any hope of being used for anything except baseball? From what I can see, there is presently a grand total of one non-baseball event scheduled there, a concert in August 2020.
Up until a couple of years ago there would still be some Monster Truck and Disney On Ice type of things there during the winter.

Back