News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Wesley Methodist (United) Church, Dundas St. W., north west corner Ossington Ave., Shows cart of James Matthews, Toronto Steam Power Soda Water Factory, 1875 TPL
Wesley Methodist (United) Church, Dundas St. W., north west corner Ossington Ave., Shows cart ...jpg

Wesley Methodist (United) Church, Dundas St. W., north west corner Ossington Ave., Shows cart of James Matthews, Toronto Steam Power Soda Water Factory, 1875 TPL
View attachment 214102
James Matthews had a soda water place on the southern portions of Dovercourt Road, near Queen in the early 1880s. He was not in the business in 1873, so that's a new wagon for a new business.

Back in 1970 I delivered internal mail in all those Eaton buildings. Rattling around the dark corridors, freight elevators. I especially liked going into the fur coat storage rooms.

Similarly, I worked for loss prevention and roamed the old buildings and the tunnel networks. The Hayter St. delivery barn was obviously used by trucks but was still set up as it was when horse-drawn carriages were used, and George Ross Eaton's racing car could often be found under a tarp off in a corner.

I remember the sound of the wooden-slat escalators and the elevators with operators.

A friend's father was head carpenter for either downtown or one of the stores and was given one of the bronze plaques that used to be mounted at the doors upon he retirement.

EXAMPLES OF THE OLD-FASHIONED TERM, "WORKERS"

O'Keefe Brewery Co., Gould St., south west corner Victoria St. 189_? TPL
O'Keefe Brewery Co., Gould St., south west corner Victoria St. 189_?  TPL.jpg

Hepburn, John T., LTD., foundry, Dupont St., north side, between Ossington Ave. & Dovercourt Rd. 1913 TPL
Hepburn, John T., LTD., foundry, Dupont St., north side, between Ossington Ave. & Dovercourt R...jpg

Back