Slate is pretty determined to make Yonge & St. Clair their showpiece, some of the renovations they've done on some of their assets in the area demonstrate high quality, and they did bring in Studio Gang for this project after all.

So, I think that bodes well for their foray into development.

Slate is pretty new to both residential ownership and residential development.
I recall when they first took over the commercial buildings in the area, they were still identifying publucly as commercial-only. I don't know when they decided to branch into residential. Also noteworthy that, at least in the commercial world, they seem to mainly be a landlord, not a developer.
Still, as others have noted, their actions so far make me optimistic. They and their institutional investment partner seem interested in building a successful mixed use community here.

Really happy to see they scrapped the plan to have pick up and drop off on Delisle. There's a driveway with a turnaround now.

(And it looks like it resulted in lost retail floor area? Will have to look more closely later.)

I'm forever wondering why in this City it is considered a win by City Planning / City Councillors to get something reduced by 4 storeys. What was wrong with 48? The stubbier 44 will look slightly less sexy on the skyline than the 48.

Oh well, at least it wasn't redesigned into some typical Toronto podium-box so I guess we must take wins when they come. Let's please build this.
In many ways, Toronto is more a provincial backwater than 40 or 50 years ago. Is Yonge Street a major throughfare or not? Why set this building back behind a completely non descript low rise commerical building (the old Ira Berg store)? I appreciate the building immediately south is a handsome art deco structure that should be preserved in some way, but why not put some groundbreaking, handsome architecture right on Toronto's signature street for all to enjoy? A truly sophisticated city would laugh at the current norm of placing tall and substantial buildings behind so-called heritage buildings.

For the life of me, I can't agree with the notion that Toronto is more provincial than it was five decades ago. I mean, I don't even know where to begin with that.

Nor do I think of Yonge as the city's signature street. It's perhaps Toronto's most famous street for Canadians in general, but "signature?" I dunno. I think of Queen, King, Bloor, Eglinton, St. Clair... those are signature streets that offer up the various flavours of the city. Yonge Street lost its soul years ago - especially the portion south of Bloor.

Finally, the whole notion of what constitutes "a truly sophisticated city" needs to be explored much more thoroughly. Glib, flippantly negative phrases don't cut it.

Why set this building back behind a completely non descript low rise commerical building (the old Ira Berg store)?
Perhaps more to the point, this building isn't going behind anything. They're bulldozing that entire block of low rise and only saving the art deco facade, which will be moved back to widen the sidewalk.

Edited to add: to my knowledge nobody has called any of those buildings heritage. The developer is only saving the one facade because they happen to like it (probably the right decision).

this is one of the top 3 projects in the entire city for me... fantastic design and I think they have done an amazing job incorporating the existing facade along Yonge and the rest of the ground level elements into the overall design. the tower looks like it belongs there instead of just being tacked on. I wish a lot more projects were designed in this way. cant wait to see this become reality!

Studio Gang just finished a building here in SF. It certainly isn't the craziest of buildings, technically speaking (just a rotated floorplate), but I think they do a really good job of approaching buildings, especially residential, with interesting cladding, without relying too much on all glass.

MIRA_SF_3_photo_credit___Lester_Ali.jpg

Source

TWENTY MONTHS (and counting) to reduce the height by 4 storeys (for no good reason) and make minor tweaks to at-grade landscaping. Absolutely ridiculous. City Planning is a key culprit in our supply and affordability crises.

The particulars of this project is irrelevant to the supply and affordability crisis.

AoD

Studio Gang just finished a building here in SF. It certainly isn't the craziest of buildings, technically speaking (just a rotated floorplate), but I think they do a really good job of approaching buildings, especially residential, with interesting cladding, without relying too much on all glass.

MIRA_SF_3_photo_credit___Lester_Ali.jpg

Source

The cladding on the tower looks like it's of good quality but aesthetically unremarkable. It's glass and white metal panels. It's the undulating profile and use of angles that makes it interesting.

Last edited:

Back