News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Update:

KLM has now suspended service to YYC effective April 5th, until at least may 5th. Leaving no international's service from YYC for the foreseeable future now.

Here an update of long haul service from YYC as it stands today:

Westjet
LGW resumes May 5
CDG resumes May 7
DUB resumes May 6
FCO delayed launch to June 4.

KLM
AMS ends April 5th, resumes May 5th

Air Canada
FRA resumes June 1st
LHR resumes June 1st
NRT resumes July 1st

Hanain
PEK suspended indefinitely

Edelwiess
ZRH resumes May 24th

British Airways*
LHR resumes April 19th

Condor
FRA resumes may 29th

EuroWings
FRA Begins June 1st

*British Airways is currently intending to resume their long haul service to YYC on April 19th but I doubt it will and i'm almost certain it will be pushed until May at the soonest.

But whatever happens, Calgary right now has no long haul destinations to Europe or Asia, something we haven't seen in decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scale and scope of the collapse of air travel globally is remarkable. There are only a handful of transatlantic passenger flights *at all* per day this week. I wonder how long it will be after the crisis ends before we approach pre-COVID levels.

If I had to say what my best scenario is, I personally don't think we will be back to pre-covid levels until at least late this year or early next year. It really depends on how soon more people start to realize how serious this whole situation is and that it genuinely affects everyone *cough* *cough* America...

If I had to say what my best scenario is, I personally don't think we will be back to pre-covid levels until at least late this year or early next year. It really depends on how soon more people start to realize how serious this whole situation is and that it genuinely affects everyone *cough* *cough* America...
Agreed. There are still a lot of people who aren't taking it seriously, or aren't taking proper precautions. It could be a while.

British Airways has pushed the relaunch of YYC-LHR to May 3rd, which means YYC will go another month without any European service. Although I can't imagine a lot of people are wanting to go to Europe right now anyways. From what I heard KLM's load factors from Calgary last week were around floating 30-ish%.

As the crisis continues to carry on it keeps becoming more apparent just how serious of trouble airlines are in. I wouldn't be surprised if at least on Canadian airline doesn't make it through the storm, my bet is on Swoop or Flair (Sadly). I also can see some major non- Canadian Airlines going down too, right now things look extra dim for Cathay Pacific who are currently carrying less than 600 PAX per day. Its no doubt that this is quickly becoming the toughest time for airlines ever, as things quickly get worse than they were following 9/11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would losing Swoop really count as losing an airline though? Fleet gets reabsorbed back into WestJet (or parked until demand warrants) and it could be launched again in the future if it is required. However if Flair goes maybe Swoop just goes too since it is not really needed anymore.

Makes sense, as IIRC countries in Europe was only taking citizens returning to Europe and no tourists. I wonder how many countries are still accepting tourists?
British Airways has pushed the relaunch of YYC-LHR to May 3rd, which means YYC will go another month without any European service. Although I can't imagine a lot of people are wanting to go to Europe right now anyways. From what I heard KLM's load factors from Calgary last week were around floating 30-ish%.

As the crisis continues to carry on it keeps becoming more apparent just how serious of trouble airlines are in. I wouldn't be surprised if at least on Canadian airline doesn't make it through the storm, my bet is on Swoop or Flair (Sadly). I also can see some major non- Canadian Airlines going down too, right now things look extra dim for Cathay Pacific who are currently carrying less than 600 PAX per day. Its no doubt that this is quickly becoming the toughest time for airlines ever, as things quickly get worse than they were following 9/11.

Air Canada is down to serving only 32 airports in Canada now, not 100% YYC related but Calgary based Westjet has yet to completely cut service to any domestic airport. For the first time they are the biggest airline in Canada.... granted I'm sure Onex is less than happy about the circumstances and buying them a few months ago now.

Would losing Swoop really count as losing an airline though? Fleet gets reabsorbed back into WestJet (or parked until demand warrants) and it could be launched again in the future if it is required. However if Flair goes maybe Swoop just goes too since it is not really needed anymore.
You're completely right. I personally would not give one sh** if Swoop were to cease to exist. On the other hand I quite like Flair and seeing their Livery around our airport. I flew with them once as it was the cheapest option to get home from Toronto and I was in a hurry and I had a great experience with them. Swoop was only created to push Flair our of business and they have been using Westjet's and Onex's deep pockets to act predatory towards Flair and if Flair goes under then Swoop will disappear.

Went over to the Airport yesterday to check out the all the parked aircraft. I counted around 34 Westjet planes scattered around with the main attraction being the line of them on runway 08/26. Aside from that I only counted 4 Air Canada aircraft as well as a handful of other airlines such as Canadian North, and Flair.

Here are a couple photos I grabbed.
IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0732.jpg

YYC route update per day today:

Westjet
LGW resumes May 5
CDG resumes May 7
DUB resumes May 6
FCO delayed launch to June 5.

YOW, YUL, YXU, YHZ, YXS All suspended until June 4th

BOS is now planned to launch on June 5th

KLM
AMS ends April 5th, resumes July 4th

Air Canada
International:
FRA resumes June 1st
LHR resumes June 24st
NRT cancelled until summer 2021
CUN resumes June 6
LAX, SFO, IAH, LAS, PDX, EWR all resume

Trandborder:
LAX, SFO, IAH, LAS, PDX, EWR all resume June 1st
BOS is now planned to launch on June 22nd

Hanain
PEK suspended indefinitely

Edelwiess
ZRH resumes May 24th

British Airways
LHR resumes June 1

Condor
FRA resumes may 28th

EuroWings
FRA Begins June 1st

United
IAH, SFO, DEN, ORD all resume June 4th

American
ORD resumes June 5th

Alaska
SEA resumes June 5

Delta
SEA resumes June 5
SLC resumes June 5

I think that is for the most part all up to date and i'm fairly confident it is, but some details may be off.

It will indeed. I don't see this thing going away anytime soon. I suspect that some if not most of our transatlantic routes will not operate this summer, and the ones that do are going to see a low PAX load on their flights. While cases in Alberta have seemingly begun to peak, much of the world is still dealing with a heavy spike, mainly Europe. As much of the passengers on those flights in the summer are European tourists coming to see The Rockies, I don't see them turning out for their summer vacations.

Normal passagem loads for airlines won't be back to pre-Covid levels for at least a year.

The Eurowings launch has now been cancelled for the year. Hopefully we will see it next year.

Same as Air Canada to NRT as well as Hainan to PEK, I suspect Hainan has be scrapped all together and I doubt they will be back.

After much anticipation YYC has finally released their passenger figures for March, and they aren't that bad to be honest.

Graphs and visuals found here.

During march YYC moved just over 800,000 passengers, much of which I'm assuming were people trying to get home.
However that is a 46% over last year. I doubt April and May will be any better, they will probably be worse, most likely sub 400,000.

If trends continue through the summer YYC is looking at around 7 million-ish passengers this year, but I personally think it will be less.

Back