That is the side of the infamous West Lodge apartments, which is in Parkdale.

View attachment 240668
Thanks. I looked them up on Google Map street view. The sides (particularly the east side, the one visible from my POV) look brown, not red. Unless they've been repainted since. But I've noticed the red façade pretty much since I moved to my current building, more than 5 years ago.

Wow! Thank you for sharing that pic. That CIBC branch is where I had my first real job for a few years while I went to university. Brings back happy memories during a difficult time.

Lol...and I was just out of high school and I’m retiring this year....gives you an idea how long ago that was.

That is the side of the infamous West Lodge apartments, which is in Parkdale.
Infamous is right - classic tower in a park ghetto right there.
Timbercreek bought this off of Wynn a couple of years ago. I wonder if they put any money into it, as they had promised. Most of the negative reviews / horror stories are from the Wynn days. Online complaints seem to have dropped off since about 2018.

Timbercreek bought this off of Wynn a couple of years ago. I wonder if they put any money into it, as they had promised. Most of the negative reviews / horror stories are from the Wynn days. Online complaints seem to have dropped off since about 2018.

Is Wynn still around? They always had an awful reputation as a slumlord.

The entire Toronto Wynn portfolio was sold to Timbercreek back in April 2018, which was reportedly worth over $1 billion in assets.

The Wynn brothers have since then began investing towards real estate in Buffalo:

This has topped out now:

April 19, 2020

20200419_091653.jpg
20200419_091831.jpg
20200419_091852.jpg
20200419_091934.jpg
20200419_092008.jpg
20200419_092159.jpg

This has such an imposing presence from Spadina looking north, it's replaced Knox College (now U of T Faculty of Architecture) as the defining landmark.

I find this to be such a puzzling building. It’s far from Kirkor’s worst, and am generally finding myself more and more appreciative of non-predominantly window wall- or alumni panel-clad buildings, but this is just such a random vibe for right here. It’s like Kirkor mixed up their drawings and took a Humbertown-destined design and threw it down for College and Spadina.

079086D8-0BAA-496F-9E5B-BDC5A0A2ED81.jpeg

I find this to be such a puzzling building. It’s far from Kirkor’s worst, and am generally finding myself more and more appreciative of non-predominantly window wall- or alumni panel-clad buildings, but this is just such a random vibe for right here. It’s like Kirkor mixed up their drawings and took a Humbertown-destined design and threw it down for College and Spadina.

View attachment 245414

It's a lot cleaner and coherent than your average Kirkor project - and a huge improvement over the earlier designs. I would go further and say it's probably the most dignified non-institutional project along this stretch of College/Spadina (glares at DesignHaus and whatever-the-Knightstone-mess-thingamajig)

AoD

Last edited:
Agreed, this isn't too bad and apart from some technical detailing issues it's actually fairly decent. But there's something slightly off setting wise, where it gives off a central Etobicoke/Old Mill kind of vibe.

Last edited:

Back