I wonder if any of you have received an occupancy package yet?

I also wonder how long this thing will take to close and register so that we can get our mortgages. I'm very eager for that to happen so that we're not potentially caught at the bottom of a price dip from this COVID thing when we apply for our mortgages...

Also, I'm on one of the higher floors and I have not done my PDI. I wonder if there will even be one.

An Update: Recent notice from builder that construction is still continuing, but at a slower pace due to social distancing and extra pre-cautions. The Builder advised that occupancy may be delayed by two to three months. PDIs will be done virtually. Their representative will do the PDI.

Virtual PDI? Like their representative will hold up their smartphone while you instruct them where to go, what to see? :D Sounds a bit iffy to me. I wonder how other buildings are currently handling PDI's?

Virtual PDI? Like their representative will hold up their smartphone while you instruct them where to go, what to see? :D Sounds a bit iffy to me. I wonder how other buildings are currently handling PDI's?
Most likely they will call on what's app, FaceTime or zoom and walk the owner through. I suspect they will find the deficiencies and advise us what they are and to submit a 30 day form after occupancy if we find any more deficiencies.

Most likely they will call on what's app, FaceTime or zoom and walk the owner through. I suspect they will find the deficiencies and advise us what they are and to submit a 30 day form after occupancy if we find any more deficiencies.

I do not trust that at all. There are a lot of things that are hard to pick up via a phone...and don't trust the builder PDI person to see verything.

The Garrison is moving in now and is doing in-person PDIs.

The notice we got makes reference to occupancy depending on the City’s building departments to get the appropriate clearance. Can anyone shed some light on this? Seems like The Garrison is occupying right now. Maybe whatever the delay was is now gone?

Hopefully we can get an update or a final date from them soon. It’s been almost a month since the notice of unavoidable delay. I know it’s extenuating circumstances, but given how long we’ve been waiting, damn I’m getting impatient.

I do not trust that at all. There are a lot of things that are hard to pick up via a phone...and don't trust the builder PDI person to see verything.

Agreed. It's interesting that they are taking this approach when others seem to be doing in-person PDI's.

I agree, but I admire that they are putting safety first. I imagine these phone sessions aren't easy for either party involved. However, anything missed can simply be added to the 30 day forum after move-in.

I agree, but I admire that they are putting safety first. I imagine these phone sessions aren't easy for either party involved. However, anything missed can simply be added to the 30 day forum after move-in.

You have a much better chance with the PDI than with the 30 day form. I'll just say that after more than enough experience buying new. As far as safety first...I guess, but doing things this way benefits the builder.

You have a much better chance with the PDI than with the 30 day form. I'll just say that after more than enough experience buying new. As far as safety first...I guess, but doing things this way benefits the builder.
I hear you, and I have had my fair share of PDIs as well ;).

IMO, it honestly comes down to the developer and their reputation to determine the real value of a PDI. Unfortunately, many developers these days don't make many (or any) updates caught during a PDI, it's more of a formality. I don't even think they are legally tied to make any updates, unless it affects livability (no running water, missing toilet, etc.). This is why I don't see a huge disadvantage to an online viewing, especially during a pandemic.

The good developers will try to get the PDI fixes out of the way to make the experience seamless (Tridel for example), but now-a-days, many developers don't even schedule the PDI with enough time to adjust anything before the unit is occupied – only going by the Tarion 30 day form. For example, I caught 40+ items during my last PDI a month out from moving, with only 3 of the items addressed. And from what I've been reading in the real estate thread, many recent homebuyers are now only getting their PDI scheduled weeks from their occupancy, not months. Seems pretty pointless.

I wonder if anyone who had an original move in date of May 1 got an update. If not, we’re already looking at a 1-2 month delay.

its been over a month and we haven’t heard anything from Daniels since their email on April 24.

Update: Builder has no firm dates, but they have indicated construction continues with a two to three month delay at current pace. No guarantees but that is some guidance.

Back