You can definitely see the new river being excavated. The very fact that WT was able to move this project to fruition despite all the odds against it happening in a city as inertia laden as this can be considered the penultimate measure of its' success as an organization.

They must be on schedule !!

Broadly speaking ok I believe - I think there some elements that are behind, but that's to be expected.

AoD

From another vantage...

Villier-1.jpg

Villier-2.jpg

Villier-3.jpg

Villier-4.jpg

Villier-5.jpg

You can definitely see the new river being excavated. The very fact that WT was able to move this project to fruition despite all the odds against it happening in a city as inertia laden as this can be considered the penultimate measure of its' success as an organization.

Broadly speaking ok I believe - I think there some elements that are behind, but that's to be expected.

AoD
From the WT FARM meeting on 28 may.
portlands.jpg

I don't understand why they have to integrate housing etc on this huge property. When they could create Toronto style Central Park equip with a zoo and other entertainment amenities! Just look at the aerial view photo up above of the construction site!

I don't understand why they have to integrate housing etc on this huge property. When they could create Toronto style Central Park equip with a zoo and other entertainment amenities! Just look at the aerial view photo up above of the construction site!

Must be colour-blind if you can't see the "green" parks from the "blue" water.
mvva-img2-2-sm.jpg

From link.

I can see that there's a green park that's integrated with condos on the rendering ! But just imagine an iconic satilite park like Chicago has in its waterfront blended in those waterways that are proposed. Replace the condos area with attractions and entertainment venues

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see that there's a green park that's integrated with condos on the rendering ! But just imagine an iconic satilite park like Chicago has in its waterfront blended in those waterways that are proposed. Replace the condos area with attractions and entertainment venues

View attachment 250269
Controversial take: Millennium Park is too big and is a border vacuum. Ours will be better. Our waterfront (Harbourfront) is already better than Chicago's.

Millennium Park does have much to recommend it; though, personally I find some elements of the design a bit fussy.

The Chicago waterfront more broadly has the same issues Toronto has in being cut off from the City in some measure by a wide, high-traffic thoroughfare.

As with Toronto again, this is not unmanageable.

However, in Chicago's case there really are too few safe crossings of said roadway, and the noise and pollution it throws off do diminish it some.

I fully expect they will fix that some day with additional crossings and a road diet.

What we should copy, in this context, is Chicago's overall ambition; but we shouldn't be caught up in copying the size/shape or design elements.

We also should worry less about what other Cities are doing in certain respects.

That is to say, I think we should survey the world for great ideas, but not get caught up in world-classitis.

We don't need exactly what some other place has, let places be themselves.

Back