Feb 4, 2020

20200204_161343.jpg
20200204_161408.jpg

Ive seen old buildings undergo slab edge restoration before but I’ve never seen anything take this long. Hopefully the tenants get balcony access back by spring!

I lived in 11 Walmer Rd -- which is owned by the same company -- for 15 years. Our balcony renos started in May of 2018 and we didn't get access to our balcony back until June of 2019. Got to enjoy it for about 3 months before we received our N13 notice saying interior renos (which they told us would be the hallway, lobby, and laundry) would take 3 years and we had to vacate.

Salford is a horrible, horrible company. Throughout the entire process of our 'renoviction' they were constantly rude to us whenever we interacted with them, reminding us they had the law on their side and we shouldn't bother trying to fight it. I fear for the residents of 666 Spadina.

Residents of 666 Spadina Avenue are having an especially difficult time being able to self-isolate as construction on the building continues.

The 334 unit building has been under construction for over a year now, as they remove the concrete balconies from every unit.

Melissa Novacefski, a Masters student who's been staying with her boyfriend in the building, wishes management would get the construction workers to stop, at least temporarily.

"Eight hours with constant drilling is unbearable," she says. "It's impossible to get any work done."

The construction company is maintaining their usual working hours – 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays – which under normal circumstance would be fine as it's when most people are at work.

But with the recent measures to help reduce the transmission of coronavirus everyone is now working from home and the result is a lot of unhappy residents, especially since there's no coffee shops or libraries to escape to.

Metal panel balcony guards. Looks like they're trying to mimic the precast pattern. This should have been glass.

img_5455-jpg.250398

Attachments

• IMG_5455.JPG
    IMG_5455.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 853
Metal panel balcony guards. Looks like they're trying to mimic the precast pattern. This should have been glass.

How do you figure? I think the original material was precast concrete, which gave the tower a lot of character. It has a lot of windows as is for natural light.

The original guards were a continuation of the slab, not a precast panel. They had to be chiseled off and the slabs were reformed. My point was mostly that if they were renovating the balconies to modern standards, it would have been nice to see glass guards vs the folded metal panel railings currently in place. Yes the original formed concrete balconies had character but realistically restoring them or reforming them was never on the table.

Back