News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This is taking a really long time to finish, for a very small site.

Perhaps there should be some slack given for any pandemic related stoppages. But this has been dragging along from a comparable progress range since
winter 2019 until now. Under proper allocation of staffing and resources, finishing the paving work shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks max.

Perhaps there should be some slack given for any pandemic related stoppages. But this has been dragging along from a comparable progress range since
winter 2019 until now. Under proper allocation of staffing and resources, finishing the paving work shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks max.

The construction felt like a hobby that someone dabbles in when they have spare time.

AoD

The paving is complete now, although there's still technically fencing around the space:

Aug 30, 2020

20200830_121312.jpg
20200830_121346.jpg
20200830_121400.jpg
20200830_121427.jpg
20200830_121448.jpg

It's fine; though the site really should have been larger; and way too much hardscape there........that will be hot as all ...... on a summer's day.

Last edited:
I like it. I think it'd be better larger and more monolithic.
Maybe they can give it a bigger brother version later on. Either way this turned out well. Set a nice feel for the area. A side from that warehouse as mentioned before. But they obviously won’t be there forever. They don’t look in good condition to be reclaimed or saved some day.

This is a really cool five-points intersection at the Carlaw-Dundas Triangle here. Some great looking condo buildings on the east side. There's patios on the SW and the NE corners, and surrounded by industrial heritage in the area. Main issue of course as discussed is the optics of the NW corner of the warehouse's loading docks facing onto the new public obelisk square.

I do think it's important that employment usages are maintained in the area. And although this particular warehouse isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, it's not fully necessary to redevelop it just for the sake of it. Shame there's no easy way to just to reformat the placement of the docks to the interior and having a more streetscape engaging presence facing south.

I'm not one to harp on the preponderance of overhead wires in the city, but do they ever distract at this intersection. This does look great though when you look beyond them, especially with the lighting feature(s).

Love it. The lighting at night elevates it. It could be bigger though as it looks smaller than any other obelisk i've seen
Let's see how many of those in-ground lights will be working this time next year.

Back