8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oxford wants to get things moving. This is their second application the first being: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ississauga-daniels-oxford-34-44s.28759/page-2

-An application by Oxford was just submitted (1/10/2020) to the city for the northwest corner of Burnhamthorpe & Kariya Gate for 55 and 65 storey towers atop a mixed use podium containing 1,216 units and 1,908 m2 of retail commercial.

This is next to the Exchange District.
The red circle is their first application, the green circle is their second one, this thread.
IMG_20190904_1736350.jpg

image001.png
thumbnail_image004.jpg

Last edited:
I got to laugh at what taking place along Burnhamthrope and love it. It flies in the face of council who wanted a sloping skyline running 15-25s from Hurontario to Mavis with the peak point at Duke of York at 40s.

I stated a number of times at council it needs to be a roller coaster with a number of tall buildings and more then 40s. When M City surface with a 60s to be follow by another 60s and then the 81s, there went the slopping skyline out the window.

While walking east on Burnhamthrope while shooting the Exchange a few days ago, I see the low rise office buildings between Kariya-Hurontario-Robert Speck seeing a mixture of tall towers for offices and residental. I know there was a vision brought forth by Morguard who owns this area or most of of the land with Absolute Dr connecting with City Centre Dr, with mostly mid rise about 10 years ago.

With this site along with the Exchange, I see a lot more 60s-80s going up in that area.

Oxford has change its views on its lands and going taller than plan. This site will drop Absolute Tower down to being the 6th tallest tower in the City after only 10 years so after being the tallest at 56s.

Walking by the site Friday, never noticed the markings as noted above at all. More focus on the Exchange than the site.

I got to laugh at what taking place along Burnhamthrope and love it. It flies in the face of council who wanted a sloping skyline running 15-25s from Hurontario to Mavis with the peak point at Duke of York at 40s.

I stated a number of times at council it needs to be a roller coaster with a number of tall buildings and more then 40s. When M City surface with a 60s to be follow by another 60s and then the 81s, there went the slopping skyline out the window.

While walking east on Burnhamthrope while shooting the Exchange a few days ago, I see the low rise office buildings between Kariya-Hurontario-Robert Speck seeing a mixture of tall towers for offices and residental. I know there was a vision brought forth by Morguard who owns this area or most of of the land with Absolute Dr connecting with City Centre Dr, with mostly mid rise about 10 years ago.

With this site along with the Exchange, I see a lot more 60s-80s going up in that area.

Oxford has change its views on its lands and going taller than plan. This site will drop Absolute Tower down to being the 6th tallest tower in the City after only 10 years so after being the tallest at 56s.

Walking by the site Friday, never noticed the markings as noted above at all. More focus on the Exchange than the site.

That was ten+ years ago when they probably thought that Absolute would be the focal point of MCC and the tallest for many years to come. I should ask the City what's the maximum height they are willing to approve.

That was ten+ years ago when they probably thought that Absolute would be the focal point of MCC and the tallest for many years to come. I should ask the City what's the maximum height they are willing to approve.
Absolute has never been the focal point, but Sq One is.

Council has always stated that the sky was the limit, but over rule anythings over 50s until M City came alone. They have even over rule the Commissioner of Planning and Development, as well staff who supported taller and more density projects and one reason there is a New Commissioner. Standard note of retirement for change in leadership and staff. This also applies to Commission of Transportation. Some had to do with changing of mayors.

Parkside Village is seeing how many towers at 50s or higher??? Ask Pinnacle what they wanted for Uptown, as its almost 50% less than they wanted as well height.

If it wasn't for a worldwide contest, Absolute wouldn't have seen 56s. When the finalizes where announced and put on display at Sq One, the public wanted Absolute at 56s from the start. Because of the high demand and interest in Absolute at marketing time, the 2nd tower came about. A 3rd tower could had been built if there was any land for it, but not to be.

If one looks at the other bidders, there are many there that should be built, but don't conform to the square box building looks developers want for the quick buck turn over. A few were over 60s if I remember right.

Seems like anything over 55 storeys is the norm now in Mississauga 😊
Long over due when it used to be the 40s or less the norm. Absolute broke that standard height, but still the push to keep things under 50s since then.

Back