News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

1598245988989.png

I'm paying attention to this mostly for the first time and it's interesting how O'Toole is using Obama-esque messaging about "hope" but with a much different spin.

Obama was messaging that while the US had gone through hard times before, it came out stronger, and it could do so again. He would move past the 2008 financial crisis by changing how things are done.
O'Toole is very much bout hope, but it's hope that we can continue to do things as we always have and won't ever have to change anything at all. We'll get car plants back, and start up the tar sands again! Have hope that yes we can turn back the clock to 1990!

??? Uh, I thought MacKay had this sewn up months ago, and that this convention would merely be a coronation - what happened??

Isn't O'Toole a socon? Somewhere, Trudeau is laughing his ass off right now...

Not really, he's pro-choice and fine w/gay marriage.

But he pandered to the so-con base in running.

Beyond that, his platform is mostly drivel.

I just thumbed through it (virtually).............

Its a re-tread of any Conservative platform platitude from the last 30 years.

Cut red tape, a law that says you have to save a dollar for every dollar you spend.

More for the military and deep water ports in the arctic

More free trade, particularly with rich, anglo, mostly white counties (UK, AUS, NZ) branded as CANZUK

Remove inter-provincial trade barriers

More tax credits.

Lots of tough on crime stuff.

1 or 2 worthwhile'ish things buried in there (extra child benefit for women living in shelters w/kids) but not much to elicit passion or draw praise for innovative thinking.

How is more free trade bad with UK Australia and New Zealand.

It makes way more sense then with China or with other third world countries.

Anyways Trudeau is pm till 2025 for sure.

??? Uh, I thought MacKay had this sewn up months ago, and that this convention would merely be a coronation - what happened??

Given the party he was bidding for the leadership of, "MacKay moderation" was always too asterisk-laden for the present-day rank and file. The Canuckistani version of this, IOW.

And it's also why, for all her "winning the hearts", Leslyn Lewis was hardly a Flora figure--just a more palatable and less abrasive alternative to Derek Sloan, and one with a future-centric cast of Ford/Kenney ethnoburbia as well.

I don’t understand what makes Erin O’Toole any different from Scheer, or Harper for that matter. All three give off the white, suburban hockey dad vibe. Why can't they move away from that mold?

Their base is dominated by white male Westerners. The furthest East they'll go is Ontario apparently. Mackay was the sanest of the lot. And they picked this tool.

Ford for his faults can appeal to minorities unlike other conservatives.

And Ford will deploy that network to help O'Toole. The Liberals really need to deliver for the GTA suburbs. Or they are toast. Nobody should underestimate the CPC.

Trudeau is insanely popular with minority groups especially Muslims....

Gta is secure as long as he is the leader.

How is more free trade bad with UK Australia and New Zealand.

It makes way more sense then with China or with other third world countries.

Anyways Trudeau is pm till 2025 for sure.

Free Trade is not intrinsically bad, by any means.

Though, it has very clearly played a central role in the relative de-industrialization of Canada and has resulted in stagnant or lower wages for many, particularly those lacking a college education.

Its merely that its a tired, also-ran thing to put in a platform at this point.

Except, the fact he proposed to do so with a focus only on Anglo, majority-white countries, to the exclusion of all others..............something that doesn't stand to benefit Canada materially either............when you look at the raw numbers,
but something which superficially seems to exclude non-whites/non-anglos..........

Really, just no upside either as real policy or in respect of public perception.

I don’t understand what makes Erin O’Toole any different from Scheer, or Harper for that matter. All three give off the white, suburban hockey dad vibe. Why can't they move away from that mold?

Essentially, I agree.

Though, there are a couple of points.

He is unambiguously pro-choice, fine w/gay marriage, he's also from Ontario (and marketed that way)

Back