Like most of our new builds we'll just have to wait 60+ years for it to get re-developed. Hopefully, in 2080 we'll get something nice and worth keeping.

The buyers of this building should go together at Daniels office and throw up on their board room table. That would still be less worse than this building. I used to work in the office tower of this project and I saw these residential building being built from up close and tried not to look up while walking to my office building. Fortunately we had a south view so we didn't have to look at the abominations on the other side of the office building.

It's like all those years of vomit at the Guvernment mutated into a residential complex.

I know I've said it before, but I can't believe we've tossed a once-in-a-generation opportunity out the window to put up this junk.

Last edited:
I think some people might like Herb Tarlek's suits. Both Monde and Daniels represent very different approach to design and urbanism. I would say to have a lot of one thing over the other is never good for urbanity.
From the comments of vomit and vomiting previous to me, I am pretty sure those people would be in the minority. Just saying.

I have a unit in the East Tower, and visually speaking yes, the crown looks very bad on the West Tower (could it be something that is yet to be completed, I don't know), but the rest of the building looks ok to me, I am not an architect or artistic by any means :)

I have a unit in the East Tower, and visually speaking yes, the crown looks very bad on the West Tower (could it be something that is yet to be completed, I don't know), but the rest of the building looks ok to me, I am not an architect or artistic by any means :)
Though I do not think that either tower can be 'saved' by doing something with their crowns, both the east and west tower crowns are ghastly and I fear both are actually finished.

It's a sad mess from a developer (Daniels) who can do MUCH better and, IMO, reflects poorly on RAW, the architects.

I just took a look at the RAW website ( https://www.rawdesign.ca/ ). I assume it has something on this project but could not find it and if their website is an example of their thinking it seems to explain the mish-mash that they have produced with this complex. All it lacks is the proverbial kitchen-sink!

Though I do not think that either tower can be 'saved' by doing something with their crowns, both the east and west tower crowns are ghastly and I fear both are actually finished.

It's a sad mess from a developer (Daniels) who can do MUCH better and, IMO, reflects poorly on RAW, the architects.

I just took a look at the RAW website ( https://www.rawdesign.ca/ ). I assume it has something on this project but could not find it and if their website is an example of their thinking it seems to explain the mish-mash that they have produced with this complex. All it lacks is the proverbial kitchen-sink!

I always find RAW all over the place in general.

AoD

Giannone Petricone are the architects for the residential portion. I was a fan of the RAW office building before the towers were built and Daniels slapped their sign on the side.

The park beside monde looks so sad, there’s never anyone there, the water features are always off and after the smallest rainfall it floods. The look and feel of Daniels public realm is much more positive to me as a regular Toronto resident

The water features were working on the weekend!

The park beside monde looks so sad, there’s never anyone there, the water features are always off and after the smallest rainfall it floods. The look and feel of Daniels public realm is much more positive to me as a regular Toronto resident
This is obviously a subjective opinion - but that park is terrible. Who wants to bring a child to play beside a major highway?!? Why it wasn't just made into a dog park on the northern end and grassy space on the southern end is beyond me. Cheaper, simple, effective.

What evidence do we have that Daniels can do better?

This is obviously a subjective opinion - but that park is terrible. Who wants to bring a child to play beside a major highway?!? Why it wasn't just made into a dog park on the northern end and grassy space on the southern end is beyond me. Cheaper, simple, effective.
I assume you realise that it is partly a 'water treatment plant" (even if it is quite 'artistic") and partly a kids playground. It is certainly close to the Gardiner and Lake Shore but is really quite well 'insulated'.

I assume you realise that it is partly a 'water treatment plant" (even if it is quite 'artistic") and partly a kids playground. It is certainly close to the Gardiner and Lake Shore but is really quite well 'insulated'.
Insulated in what way? I walk by daily and it's a horrible experience and is butt up against a highway. I LOVE the water treatment plant solution, but I see more kids at the new park across the street beside Aquavista than I've ever seen at this park. It's a shame the city didn't design with the highway in mind.

What evidence do we have that Daniels can do better?

They're building a lot of dreck right now, but One Cole and 55 Regent Park Boulevard were well done. Though controversial, I think that 385 Prince of Wales Drive in Mississauga (Chicago) also turned out well.

That is certainly one part of the reason but really, you do not necessarily need to spend more $$ to get MUCH nicer looking (and better designed & constructed) buildings. I am not quite sure what the opposite of "the cherry" is but the crowns of these two towers could have been made, at least, passable, with some thought (I can't say 'more thought' as they seemed to get none) and with no more $$$.
I looked at the 'courtyard lighting strings yesterday and am not looking forward to seeing them in 6 months when some lights will undoubtedly have failed and plastic bags and garbage will have lodged on top. A sad, sad, mess!

Back