^Why do we bansh old streetcars to Rockwood, when both the Islands and the Spit would be a great place for a quaint tram that would serve a transportation purpose and also be fun to ride?

Similar to New Orleans or San Francisco, one could have a fleet of “vintage” looking but quite modern operationally railcars. Tap on once and ride for the day. Single track Row with a very fixed schedule.

Rather than a fixed bridge, what about a ferry similar to the Island Airport version, just across the channel. Walk on/walk off. On a ten minute headway, plenty of capacity.

Plenty can be done to constructively “naturalise” the islands, but I don’t mind the expanses of cut grass to give openness and to maximise the view of the harbour/skyline. This is not the place for a woodlot. Having said that, it would be a wonderful place for a campground. Maximising overnight usage, and enjoyment of sunset, night sky, and sunrise would all add to the attraction. The resorts should be on the mainland, just hop on a pre dawn ferry across the gap to go for a sunrise run or walk.

- Paul

Avenue of the Island has had its modernism muddled. It should be fixed and celebrated.

It is modernism, but I am not sure about the quality to warrant wholesale preservation.

I don't really get the hate for Centerville for many families with younger kids it's the first amusement park they go to as there isn't a lot fro them to do at Canada's Wonderland and not everyone can make the drive out to Santa's village.

I don't actively "hate" it, but I do think it the space it occupies could be better and more intensively used.

AoD

Maybe because it looks the same as any other Victorian style park across the city?

Maybe? I don’t think that’s really it.

I think it lacks a vision, and, no one’s willing to spend real money on it. That’s true of so much public space in Toronto: we cheap out a ton, and we’re afraid of grand dreams and designs. As a result, our public spaces are ‘ok’ instead of great.

Edit: For example, if I think about how Governor’s Island in NYC looks and feels - its quite something. They’ve put in a lot of public art, made the most of views of Manhattan, put in tons of plantings and beautiful trails, created a bike loop, are setting up an artist’s space... You get a lot of ‘wow’ moments there.

Maybe build a hill, forest it, with a trail to the top? Would be interesting to have a view of the entire island.
So basically say to families with young children there's nothing here for you anymore? As I said in one of my earlier posts for many young children Centerville is the first amusement park they go to. My guess is that you don't have any or have any necies or nephews that love those types of rides. In the last couple of years I've gotten to go see it with one of my nephews who at the time was 2 and 3 and it was great too see him being just as excited about it as me and my brothers were when we were younger too. A hill with a trail and trees isn't going to attract families to visit it.

Hoping they bury the overhead utility wires on the island while they are doing this. Hopefully the proximity to the water won't prevent burial.

Annotation 2020-09-03 105414.png

Image: Google Maps

So basically say to families with young children there's nothing here for you anymore? As I said in one of my earlier posts for many young children Centerville is the first amusement park they go to. My guess is that you don't have any or have any necies or nephews that love those types of rides. In the last couple of years I've gotten to go see it with one of my nephews who at the time was 2 and 3 and it was great too see him being just as excited about it as me and my brothers were when we were younger too. A hill with a trail and trees isn't going to attract families to visit it.

Nope - I wanted a mix of quaint amusement style rides AND large-scale free playscapes like:

The goal is to emphasize the public - money should not be a barrier to having fun on a public asset.

AoD

Back