Sat Sep 5, 2020

5CECDB32-E369-4193-AB42-B5EABE95A638.jpeg

1EF313D1-261D-4B6B-9F82-78A979AD90CB.jpeg

D3BA4F45-A5A5-47E5-B00E-C578FCD7186E.jpeg

7541922D-13AA-4AFB-BB62-E04E95856824.jpeg

9552C61E-9DDC-4AE0-AF0D-4AC5B91B0A95.jpeg

They poured the last bit of the north wall, and formwork is going up for the floor on the next level.
It seems unusual to me that they are starting the first level above grade without pouring the on-grade floor slab but I suppose this means they can pour it 'indoors'

It seems unusual to me that they are starting the first level above grade without pouring the on-grade floor slab but I suppose this means they can pour it 'indoors'
I thought that too. Anyway, today the formwork was gone but the supports for it are still in place.

They've beeing beavering away on the rebar for floor of the first above grade level.
Indeed, today they are pouring the slab onto the new rebar. Still VERY puzzled as to why they have not yet poured the on grade slab but ..... Maybe they want to pour all of it at once???

was just looking at the database page for this project and realized the winning design has been "redesigned" to meet the usual low standards we are used to in Toronto. why hold a contest to attract top international designers, pick a winner and then give it the Toronto cheapening treatment? just heart breaking. the current design barely holds a candle to the original. bland and boring. another missed opportunity.

I noticed that too. I'd love to be privy to the project plan...

The plans were available at one point on the city's development application information centre - but the most recent ones are really thin on details. I think I have an old version with them stashed somewhere (but they are obviously out of date).

AoD

Indeed, today they are pouring the slab onto the new rebar. Still VERY puzzled as to why they have not yet poured the on grade slab but ..... Maybe they want to pour all of it at once???
They were still busy trowelling 20 minutes ago.

I wonder, based on absolutely no knowledge at all, if the concrete has to cure for a while before it can bear the weight of the forms for the floor above. So they poured the second lowest floor, remove the forms, and then pour the bottom floor. Meanwhile they can carry on pouring walls and columns above.

They were still busy trowelling 20 minutes ago.

I wonder, based on absolutely no knowledge at all, if the concrete has to cure for a while before it can bear the weight of the forms for the floor above. So they poured the second lowest floor, remove the forms, and then pour the bottom floor. Meanwhile they can carry on pouring walls and columns above.
A feasible theory or maybe they want/need to pour the `base slab` all at one time. I have never seen this done before so it is quite puzzling! Where is UT's highly paid team of construction experts?

Back