News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Theres lots of residential connector trails nearby. The type that go between cul-de-sacs and winding residential streets to try and simplify walking/biking through the area.
Huh - TIL. I still think biking down Steeles is a little nuts; when there isn’t traffic most people hit 80/90 easy, and when there is...you’re in 3 lanes of traffic breathing diesel fumes as people swerve trying to overtake trucks. I’d be terrified biking down there.

I’d no idea the city had bike trails in the residential areas down there. Up at the northern edge it’s just wide roads, no bike trails.

Wait i think i missed something... awhile back, when reading about the go corridor expansion there was the lakeshore east expansion where east, central and west corridors were getting improvements. Each of them had their own pages with Objectives for each one

Theese contracts represent objectives from both the east and west corridor. When were theese dropped?

This could also explain the change in delivery mode from Design-Finance-Build to Design-Bid-Build

Looking on Infrastructure Ontario's active projects pages, Both East and West have dissappeared. but i found archives of them

Heres a metrolinx tender for this: https://www.metrolinx.merx.com/public/solicitations/1285988414/abstract?origin=0

As for the Rouge River bridge, sometime between fall of 2017 and 2019 that project was cancelled and i guess they decided against the extra track to be built to pickering

Can someone give some insight into this?

About a year ago Steve Munro asked Metrolinx about what I think you're asking about and he published their responses.

^ML had initiated EAs and then procurement to triple track the section of LSE from Guildwood to Durham Jct. But, a few town halls back, I recall one of the ML honchos stating that they had reevaluated that plan and felt that the existing double track would be sufficient with upgraded signalling. At that point, the procurement appeared to stall, although work is continuing with related grade separations, which are needed regardless of two tracks or three. The projects do still appear (sort of) on the IO web site.
My spectator’s speculation is that this was a case of ML discovering that funding isn’t infinite and they would have to prioritize. Improving the junction at Scarborough is indeed a higher priority, and is a need that ML seems to have only discovered at the last minute (and I’m not above making a loud “told ya so” on that one). So money probably wisely got shifted.
I expect that the triple tracking will still happen, when funding allows. Without it, express service to points east will be very hard to manage.

- Paul

Sept 26
We stopped off at Confederation GO Station Site and still dead. Looking at the track grading that took place a few months ago, it was for a small section. Where the current CN line bends at both ends, switches will be cut in to connect to the 2 station tracks that will be installed when the station is built.
50388451327_17d4c843eb_b.jpg

50388274586_feb5f4464b_b.jpg

50388269176_ac36aea8dc_b.jpg

50388451602_78aa78ebd3_b.jpg

50387577583_d37712fcc5_b.jpg

50387577773_f9a71cb532_b.jpg

I can't quite figure out how this is going to work, and an extension to Stoney Creek that is not on the Grimsby Sub? On the map the track looks straight.

I can't quite figure out how this is going to work, and an extension to Stoney Creek that is not on the Grimsby Sub? On the map the track looks straight.

Metrolinx will have a “dedicated” track between Bayview Jct, West Harbour GO, and Confederation GO on the south side of the existing CN tracks. At Confederation GO, the CN tracks will be shifted to the north, and the GO tracks and the station platforms will be built on the “south side”. Two new bridge spans have been built at Centennial Parkway that are not visible on Google Maps, that the CN tracks will be shifted to.

Has Metrolinx dropped the Galloway grade separation? I've seen in a few spots now that they seem to only be planning 2 separations in southern Scarborough now.

Has Metrolinx dropped the Galloway grade separation? I've seen in a few spots now that they seem to only be planning 2 separations in southern Scarborough now.
Seems that way. It's unfortunate because there's very few grade crossings left on the LSE. Metrolinx could've took the opportunity to finally fully grade seperate the entire line.

Galloway will get done but after Golf Club and Morningside. This is due to the fact that Guildwood signal plant contains Galloway and Poplar crossings and the end of third track turnout and crossover switches, and also it would to much disruption and train delays in this short of an area. Once Golf Club and Morningside are done the Guildwood location can be replaced with a new one farther east with the third track extended to reach it. This will allow track diversion to be much simpler at Galloway as the switches can be removed completely and there will only be three tracks to shift during construction.

Metrolinx will have a “dedicated” track between Bayview Jct, West Harbour GO, and Confederation GO on the south side of the existing CN tracks. At Confederation GO, the CN tracks will be shifted to the north, and the GO tracks and the station platforms will be built on the “south side”. Two new bridge spans have been built at Centennial Parkway that are not visible on Google Maps, that the CN tracks will be shifted to.
So basically thru the yard and all the way to the station. When is that supposed to be complete?

Galloway will get done but after Golf Club and Morningside. This is due to the fact that Guildwood signal plant contains Galloway and Poplar crossings and the end of third track turnout and crossover switches, and also it would to much disruption and train delays in this short of an area. Once Golf Club and Morningside are done the Guildwood location can be replaced with a new one farther east with the third track extended to reach it. This will allow track diversion to be much simpler at Galloway as the switches can be removed completely and there will only be three tracks to shift during construction.

That's all fine and good, but.....

The plant at Guildwood isn't moving. And the third track isn't going to be extended eastward, at least not within the scope of this project.

Dan

Dan, I stand corrected, you seem to quite in the know on the happenings around Toronto. It was my understanding that this was going to happen both from ease of moving the tracks, and if the the plant had to be moved to move it east out of the way.
Bryan.

Dan, I stand corrected, you seem to quite in the know on the happenings around Toronto. It was my understanding that this was going to happen both from ease of moving the tracks, and if the the plant had to be moved to move it east out of the way.
Bryan.

In a lot of other locations, that might be the case.

But the plant at Guildwood was upgraded about 15 years ago. It's not quite to the current standard as Metrolinx has been using elsewhere along their lines, but it is definitely far better and more modular than the original 1960s-era equipment that was installed in the bungalows. It will be a hell of a sight easier to incorporate the relatively minor changes of removing the level crossings there because of that.

The project to add the third track all the way east to Durham Junction has been postponed indefinitely. Instead, a small section to the west of Durham Junction will be added, but only far as Rouge River.

Dan

Sept 29
Other than closing off Dublin St Crossing and some ballast, nothing has been done since my last visited in the spring.
50403182341_07ca02f3f0_b.jpg

50403182466_c9387e94f8_b.jpg

50402483323_fded639d82_b.jpg

50402481613_1c61e0a529_b.jpg

50403182856_0c9f082dea_b.jpg

50402487748_594e5f2233_b.jpg

50403346662_3d31385d1f_b.jpg

50403187956_f841c22a54_b.jpg

50403347482_20fbcab03f_b.jpg

Back