Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 13.40.44.png

The Overlea routing is pretty upsetting. So, instead of running along a wiiiide road they decided to run the line elevated through greenspace? I get that you want to reduce impacts on houses of worship, etc. but I don't think the tradeoff is worth it. I've also no idea to give feedback to Metrolinx (or whether it'll even matter; from what I've heard, they basically just ignore it all).

This isn't final as per the image

No guarantee the final is better. Having said so it isn't terrible - though clumsy (the irregular placements of the piers in particular). No need for unnecessary flourishes like cable stays. I am hoping for something like the new San Giorgio Bridge in Genoa (by RPBW) - simple, easy on the eyes, efficient (mass production of similar elements)

AoD

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts as a resident:

Thank, gosh they made the station on Thorncliffe Park Drive West. Much better suited for a station.

I'm not sure how I feel about the line detouring into the hydro corridor. I'm not against it. Detouring off the main road is kinda odd.

The Flemingdon station is closer to Science Centre than Science Centre (line 5). Flemingdon Park should be renamed to Science Centre, and Science Centre renamed to Don Mills, or the neighbourhood name being made.

The DVP bridge looks boring, and the elevated guideway will also be disappointingly boring as well.

The fact they still are confused about where the EMSF will be is concerning. and the gap between Beth Nealson and Don Millls is really long.

Betting that we will never do things better is a pretty disappointing bet, we may as well build the RER A for the Relief Line in that case.

I think it's realistic based on history, especially with politics becoming an increasing factor in these decisions.

First observation, I still have extreme difficulty with their proposed MSF site on which much of this hinges.

They've indicated they're still looking............but ........uh...

The largest configurable site on the route they've identified is this:

View attachment 274498

Its 5 ha and change, less than 1/2 the size of Greenwood, seems like an insanely tight for for up to 250 trains!

Why don't they just expropriate the Costco site?

You've got 4 subway projects committed by a conservative provincial government, with 39.9km of rapid transit and about 32 stations, that are (almost) all targeted to be built within the next 10 years. That's on top of continuous (albeit incremental) construction to upgrade and add hundreds of kilometres of commuter rail up to a modern standard. You've also got suburbs voting and fighting to get LRTs built. (Cambridge, Hamilton*, Mississauga, Brampton*)

I think that is a significant amount of committed work that most voters approve of and will continue to vote for.

*RIP

That's a fair observation.

What I question is how it's different than any previous generation that has promised X kilometres of transit, only to have plans delayed and/or inevitably cancelled by the next government in favour of their own vision.

Ford has done what virtually every government before him has done. Cancel or modify plans in favour of what he wants, even if it delays the process or isn't optimal. A real change would've been continuing with a DRL plan much further along in the planning process and building out the other phases.

We're already seeing the Ontario Line being pushed back (even though it's by far the most crucial line of the four) in favour of projects that are politically advantageous to him. This is after uploading subway construction, with a bevy of promises that it would result in faster, more efficient and cost effective construction of subways. This is yet more provincial encroachment (another long term trend) on something the city used to do very well on it's own.

Until shovels are in the ground and these projects are well underway I think there's valid reasons to consider this business as usual.

What I question is how it's different than any previous generation that has promised X kilometres of transit, only to have plans delayed and/or inevitably cancelled by the next government in favour of their own vision.

Ford has done what virtually every government before him has done. Cancel or modify plans in favour of what he wants, even if it delays the process or isn't optimal. A real change would've been continuing with a DRL plan much further along in the planning process and building out the other phases.

We're already seeing the Ontario Line being pushed back (even though it's by far the most crucial line of the four) in favour of projects that are politically advantageous to him. This is after uploading subway construction, with a bevy of promises that it would result in faster, more efficient and cost effective construction of subways. This is yet more provincial encroachment (another long term trend) on something the city used to do very well on it's own.

Until shovels are in the ground and these projects are well underway I think there's valid reasons to consider this business as usual.
Well we have to look back at those projects and see how they failed, or were stopped. The previous Liberal era was plagued by provincial level politicians sitting on projects for years and years and not being able to make up their mind on what they wanted to do. Miller proposes Transit City, not much progress is done and Ford gets elected with his war on car message (and in many ways his arguments were absolutely valid), then Dalton sided with him and cancelled Transit City, then after Toronto failed to meat the funds, the liberals flip flopped again. What makes Ford different is he clearly has a strong priority of trying to cut through as much bureaucratic red tape as possible. Eglinton West and SSE will start boring next year, which is unprecedentedly fast in Toronto time, and there is a clear strong commitment from ford to try and get all of these projects through. The only chance that any of these projects will fail is if Ford somehow loses in 2022 (which is unlikely with current projections), and whoever replaces him pull a Mike Harris and fill all of the tunnels with cement, and will scrap OL for the DRL which would lead to a ton of outcry.

My understanding was that Metrolinx initially planned to put the yard where the MBTW Group is on the east side of Beth Nealson.

There is no reason that Beth Nealson cannot be re-aligned, either. I could easily see Metrolinx moving it to the west to allow for a large enough area for the yard.

That was my understanding as well.

I was among several people who questioned that site; its actually smaller than the one I identified above; less than 5ha.

I did not contemplate moving Beth Nealson.........which by the way got a brand new watermain under it, this year.

Because Tremco fully abuts it on the other side.

So once you move it to the west, you have to take the Tremco site.

With ensuing knock-on effects.

Likewise, there's very little open space on the MBTW Group site to take-up, before you encounter a building.

So that becomes a 2-site purchase also.

The effect on employment locally would not be immaterial.

Well we have to look back at those projects and see how they failed, or were stopped. The previous Liberal era was plagued by provincial level politicians sitting on projects for years and years and not being able to make up their mind on what they wanted to do. Miller proposes Transit City, not much progress is done and Ford gets elected with his war on car message (and in many ways his arguments were absolutely valid), then Dalton sided with him and cancelled Transit City, then after Toronto failed to meat the funds, the liberals flip flopped again. What makes Ford different is he clearly has a strong priority of trying to cut through as much bureaucratic red tape as possible. Eglinton West and SSE will start boring next year, which is unprecedentedly fast in Toronto time, and there is a clear strong commitment from ford to try and get all of these projects through. The only chance that any of these projects will fail is if Ford somehow loses in 2022 (which is unlikely with current projections), and whoever replaces him pull a Mike Harris and fill all of the tunnels with cement, and will scrap OL for the DRL which would lead to a ton of outcry.

The fact that the government still hasn’t formally requested federal funding for the OL (despite their public insistence otherwise), has me skeptical of their commitment to see this through.

If they switch to the eastern ave alignment and use the rockets, is it any different then the DRL? The west end isn't my cup of tea. Should go to dundas west.

The fact that the government still hasn’t formally requested federal funding for the OL (despite their public insistence otherwise), has me skeptical of their commitment to see this through.
Besides throwing all work out that was done on the RL, I really can't understand how they can't collect the necessary information for Federal funding.

"Now approaching Science Centre station. Do not exit at this station for The Science Centre". Seems like a calamity for families with children and disabled people who will then need to travel over 400 meters to The Science Centre, when the Flemingdon Park station is on The Science Centre property and only 100m from the entrance.

Back