Can confirm that there is no plan to re-glaze the bricked-in windows. Looks fantastic, anyway!

I am sure they have their reasons - it is their project afterall. I am not inclined to be too critical given how much this restoration have already given back. If all that's missing is 3 bricked in window, so be it.

AoD
Of course, that's not all that's missing. The pediment's restoration, including the replacement of its statues, is missing too. Seems to me that these missing elements add up to a lot that's missing.

As you can tell, I'm very disappointed but I won't belabour this anymore. What's done is done...or, rather, what's not done is not done.

Last edited:
Of course, that's not all that's missing. The pediment's restoration, including the replacement of its statues, is missing too. Seems to me that these missing elements add up to a lot that's missing.

As you can tell, I'm very disappointed but I won't belabour this anymore. What's done is done...or, rather, what's not done is not done.
What's not done is not done BUT the pediment COULD be 'restored' or re-imagined in the future and the blocked windows could be re-glazed. What they have done on the exterior looks great and I look forward to seeing interior shots sooner than later. Better they spend $$$ on doing what they are doing properly!

What's not done is not done BUT the pediment COULD be 'restored' or re-imagined in the future and the blocked windows could be re-glazed. What they have done on the exterior looks great and I look forward to seeing interior shots sooner than later. Better they spend $$$ on doing what they are doing properly!

I think it is possible to simultaneously appreciate the quality of the significant restoration done to date; and still be disappointed that it didn't go further.

While true, the 'missing' work can be done later; It's unlikely to occur for an extended period of time.

One can't imagine any eagerness to prioritize the fundraising or to re-erect scaffolding across the front facade for several months in the next few years.

So it does seem like an opportunity lost (for now).

The fact that it doesn't mirror the render, on a public sector project (such that many anticipated, I think rightly, a more fulsome restoration) rubs a bit of salt in the wound as well.

It's still great to see what's been done, done.

But would have been wonderful to see a fully realized restoration, rather than a 90%

I think it is possible to simultaneously appreciate the quality of the significant restoration done to date; and still be disappointed that it didn't go further.

While true, the 'missing' work can be done later; It's unlikely to occur for an extended period of time.

One can't imagine any eagerness to prioritize the fundraising or to re-erect scaffolding across the front facade for several months in the next few years.

The fact that it doesn't mirror the render, on a public sector project (such that many anticipated, I think rightly, a more fulsome restoration) rubs a bit of salt in the wound as well.

It's still great to see what's been done, done.

But would have been wonderful to see a fully realized restoration, rather than a 90%
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride! Though I agree it would have been great to see an absolute 100% restoration, they really seem to have done the 'basics plus' and the pediment and the windows certainly could be done at a later date without closing the Hall. Maybe some of our millionaire UTers will contribute the $$ to make it possible. I tend to see it as an opportunity for the future built on the accomplishments of the past few years.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride! Though I agree it would have been great to see an absolute 100% restoration, they really seem to have done the 'basics plus' and the pediment and the windows certainly could be done at a later date without closing the Hall. Maybe some of our millionaire UTers will contribute the $$ to make it possible. I tend to see it as an opportunity for the future built on the accomplishments of the past few years.

Hmmm, The @Edward Skira Pediment, at Massey Hall.

• Haha
Reactions: DSC

Perhaps they could establish a heritage trust with tax deductible donations. Large companies would be eager to give money to things like that for tax breaks.

While true, the 'missing' work can be done later; Its unlikely to occur for an extended period of time.

Its still great to see what's been done, done.

I don't think re-glazing those three prominent windows would add substantially to the cost either.

The statues might be another matter altogether.

Massey just got another donation. From today's Star.

massey.jpg

I don't think re-glazing those three prominent windows would add substantially to the cost either.

The statues might be another matter altogether.
It will cost a lot more to come back later and do the windows...in the big picture, those 3 windows would have cost peanuts. This must have been an architectural decision not a cost one.

Curious about the bricked in windows, I did a bit of digging...

It would appear that originally, the balcony level seating in this location extended right back to the wall (and at the time, the windows), similar to the larger upper windows.

At some point, these seats were removed and the Balcony Bar / Lounge was created. This effectively lowered the floor relative to those bricked in windows, meaning they were now covered by the ceiling of the bar. This also explains why the "new" windows were cut into the stone Massey Music Hall sign (which has now been restored) on the front of the building.

For better or worse, the restoration plans don't include extending the balcony seats up to their original height, meaning that the bricked in windows remain tucked away behind the ceiling of the lounge (future coat check?). Sure they could have been re-glazed, but it would make for a very odd condition inside the hall with the windows tucked up by the ceiling of what was the lounge. To make them truly functional as originally designed would require a larger intervention inside the hall.

Original plan, with balcony seating extended to the wall and with windows exposed:
1604431287917.png

"current plan" showing how the ceiling of the lounge drops to cover the windows (overlay from Toronto Dev. App. website).
1604431513265.png

They could have restored the bricked-up windows as fake, backlit "windows" that looked real enough from the outside. An intervention like that would have been appropriately "theatrical" and would have improved the overall appearance of the elevation, especially now that the grime and fire escapes have been removed as distractions.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Or they could have removed the drop ceiling of the VIP room and improved its atmosphere with big windows.
So they didn't want to spend money on the VIP experience?

Back