Anybody knows what is this huge TV or billboard with lots of lamps which was installed on the side facing sought VMC station. Looks like a huge TV with low resolution

Anybody knows what is this huge TV or billboard with lots of lamps which was installed on the side facing sought VMC station. Looks like a huge TV with low resolution
It's the public art component. It'll be used to make moving light shows from my understanding, it won't be a TV or billboard.

IMG_5923.jpg

They look even better in person. Fairly high quality glazing on this one. I just wish the balcony panels were opaque. The clear look gives the building an unfinished appearance.

It's the public art component. It'll be used to make moving light shows from my understanding, it won't be a TV or billboard.

A pretty comprehensive article from Canadian Architects about the VMC development with a render of the artwall.

Not having spandrel panels makes a building look so much better.
edit: upon closer examination, it seems like there may be one line of spandrels in the middle. But even if it, it's by far the best integrated spandrel panels I've seen of any project. Almost can't tell from this angle it's not vision glass.

Nice sunny December day. TC3 wrapping up exterior work. Crane will likely come down before Christmas:

View attachment 287719

View attachment 287723

One day the building code is going to get updated and developers won't know what to do when they aren't allowed to provide excessive amounts of balconies for each suite.

One day the building code is going to get updated and developers won't know what to do when they aren't allowed to provide excessive amounts of balconies for each suite.

Curious, why would the building code restrict balcony space?

The Ontario Building Code does not restrict balcony space in terms of size, but rather materials and other items related to fire protection. Zoning By-laws generally require a minimum amount of outdoor amenity space per unit which balconies contribute towards. Larger balconies add to the marketability of units and thus made bigger.

I'm far from an expert in thermal dynamics but from my understanding the concrete slabs that are extended beyond a building's wall to make a balcony floor contributes to the building's heat loss. The OBC could be updated to restrict this in an attempt to make buildings greener I suppose.

With respect to Transit City Condos, I think each building looks great on their own. I just wish that there was more diversity between them.

Back