i remember when i joined UT back in 2013, i was always wishing for tall buildings around CN tower. looking at the skyline from the lake, that gap between CN tower and Financial district always bothered me. finally it's happening.
I hope the black cladding stays throughout the design process, it's certainly refreshing to see. I also have no problem with the height here, it fits well in context.
Below is a quick massing model showing the development in context. It will be updated once the architectural plans are made available.

50702881228_fc04e76695_k.jpg

This wonderful graphic also makes me wonder when the office buildings towards the south of University will start getting replaced by taller office buildings? I don't think we're quite there yet, but I'd imagine anything that isn't heritage and isn't directly behind the Royal York will get upsized in the coming decade or two.

My nominee to be 1st:

1607633831175.png

100 University Avenue, south-west corner of King + University.

Aside from the obvious aesthetic reasons; I can see several reasons this asset could be put into retirement; and the site more profitably developed.

1) By current standards, the site is quite short ~12 storeys.

2) It's actually got a decent sized floor plate at ~26000ft2

3) Despite being beside a subway station, it is not connected directly, this diminishes its current value and offers an obvious upside.

Relatedly, the current TTC stairs on this corner are narrow, exposed and offer no accessibility. Obvious City-building opportunity to add an elevator and possibly an up escalator, with a single, consolidated, indoor stair well.

4) Building not currently connected to The Path. Connections are possible to the north and east and to the tunnel leading to Roy Thompson Hall.

5) The site currently offers no parking (yes, I'm for that too, but it does still diminish its ability to attract Class-A tenants and should make the price a bit lower to purchase it for redevelopment.)

6) In exchange for height, a modest pull back on the north side would be useful to allow a view of the heritage church from the East, as well as modestly widen the sidewalk.

7) Redevelopment could also kick in funds for Emily Street which is rather dreadful on the building's western flank.

Last edited:
This wonderful graphic also makes me wonder when the office buildings towards the south of University will start getting replaced by taller office buildings? I don't think we're quite there yet, but I'd imagine anything that isn't heritage and isn't directly behind the Royal York will get upsized in the coming decade or two.

Our resident render genius Steve Velasco actually addressed this very topic with a terrific visioning exercise. Be sure to check out the link below.
https://www.stephenvelasco.com/work/university-avenue-intensification

Admittedly some pandemic boredom here, and sincere apologies to DREAM and SHoP... but thought I should get in early with this scribble.

That flat roof is begging for some branding and since Toronto is "dreaming" big (some of which is coming true), the marriage of developer and city brands works in an aspirational way (I also have land in the everglades ripe for development).

Also useful way-finding for occasionally lost air traffic.

View attachment 287994
Hey 3Dementia ,can you leak some pictures with the Elephant and Castle Pub sign clearly stuck to the front of 212 King West? Maybe it will stick....

This project was a welcomed surprise and looks to have very exciting potential for the area and city. Throw in Mirvish + Gehry and hints of a redeveloped, future pedestrian-friendly King St...what's not to like? :)

One of the things I liked about the render was that the new building didn't butt up against the Theatre Park condos. I think the sides of Theatre Park are very eye catching and I wouldn't want to lose that sightline if possible. The good news is you clearly see Theatre Park in the renders so that corner is just getting more beautified by adding in the new towers. However, I just went to the exact location and recreated the render and I don't see anyway the sightline of Theatre Park remains...at least not from that angle.

Not that I still wouldn't want this built as this will be more striking that Theatre Park for sure. I just want it all I guess.
condo.jpg
IMG_7148.jpg

Here are the pics. It's very possible I don't know what I am talking about as well...so take this with a gain of salt. ;)

The renders and the overall height of the project seems to suggest that the floor=ceiling heights in the residential portion of the building will be much higher than we typically see in Toronto. That New York City trend may be coming to Toronto I sense.

Here are the pics. It's very possible I don't know what I am talking about as well...so take this with a gain of salt. ;)
The rendering is from further south on Simcoe on the east side of the street. It can't really be recreated on Google Street view as the vehicle is too far west.

The renders and the overall height of the project seems to suggest that the floor=ceiling heights in the residential portion of the building will be much higher than we typically see in Toronto. That New York City trend may be coming to Toronto I sense.

The ledges on the residential portion come every third floor. I expect that residential floors here will be quite typical of normal floor heights.

eo4cfjqxmaalfro-jpg.287946

Triovest recently bought out the other owners of their building at 40 University Ave so if there is one that might be in the pipeline, I would wager that one.

Triovest recently bought out the other owners of their building at 40 University Ave so if there is one that might be in the pipeline, I would wager that one.

Pretty low vacancy rate currently; ~1%

They are currently advertising for new tenants through June 2021 as spaces come up. Of course we don't know what term lengths are on offer.

Floor plate is a smidge over 20,000ft2 per floor.

That's not the most exciting number for contemporary office construction; though by no means bad.

Current height, 13 floors.

They're a bit hemmed in though; with HR controlling and proposing to redevelop 145 Wellington to the west; and a heritage building and CF's 160 Front West development to the south and south-west respectively.

HR's proposal will trigger separation distance issues.

If I'm reading the drawings right, the new 145 tower and the existing 40 University (at the height of the new residential) will be just over 16M apart.

Addressing that would substantially cut into any commercial floor plate. Looks to trim it to ~15,000ft2

Of course, like 145 they could mix commercial/residential.

But, that means a new/enlarged elevator core which would also eat into the existing commercial footprint.

Hmmmmm.

One of the things I liked about the render was that the new building didn't butt up against the Theatre Park condos. I think the sides of Theatre Park are very eye catching and I wouldn't want to lose that sightline if possible. The good news is you clearly see Theatre Park in the renders so that corner is just getting more beautified by adding in the new towers. However, I just went to the exact location and recreated the render and I don't see anyway the sightline of Theatre Park remains...at least not from that angle.

My sentiment as well, I really like Theatre Park... though I wouldn’t bank on much of its West facade being visible. I think the render is being generous with the spacing between the two sites. Its 157m height also looks comical sandwiched between Supertall Row.

I kind of like the black tower, but to be honest I'm not a fan of the shorter section.

Hopefully the existing heritage buildings don't become glorified lobbies.

Back