This was the 1st post on this thread from Jan 11 2013, so yes the previous government sat on it for over 5 years without a full commitment to sell it
...yeah, what credit do they deserve?

DoFo and co. have claimed today that "This property sale is part of the government’s plan to reduce red tape and accelerate the sale of surplus government properties, that was announced in December 2018", when in fact it was initiated in 2017 by the Wynne government.

Announcing closing details and coming up with the idea and implementing it are very different things.

Greenwin Inc. and Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust Complete Acquisition of Downtown Toronto Development Parcel
ORONTO, April 29, 2019 /CNW/ - The Provincial Government announced today the completion of the acquisition of 26 Grenville St. and 27 Grosvenor St. (the "Property") by veteran Toronto developers Greenwin Inc. ("Greenwin") and Choice Properties REIT ("Choice Properties" or the "Trust") (TSX: CHP.UN). The deal paves the way for an expansive revitalization of the 0.9-acre property, featuring over 700 purpose-built rental units, 30% of which will be maintained as affordable rental housing for a period of 40 years.

The planned two-tower development will be located in one of Toronto's busiest and densely populated neighbourhoods, near the intersection of Yonge St. and College St., within walking distance to College TTC subway station, the University of Toronto and the financial core. The Property was acquired by Greenwin and Choice Properties as part of the Provincial Affordable Housing Lands Program, established to leverage provincial land assets for development of market and affordable housing across Ontario.

"Today is an important milestone in Toronto's development history," said Cary Green, Chairman, Greenwin. "An investment in affordable housing is an investment in a brighter future for those who need it most. Together, with our partner Choice Properties, we are excited to bring sustainable, affordable housing in a mixed-income setting to the heart of the City of Toronto."

Stephen Johnson, President and CEO of Choice Properties, said, "We are delighted to enter into a partnership with Greenwin to develop this well-located property and to create a significant number of affordable units. Our intent is to create a landmark project that will make a positive contribution to the community."

"It's a win-win situation," said Kris Boyce, CEO, Greenwin Inc. "Working to address Toronto's rental housing shortage through the transformation of an underutilized space into a vibrant community is a unique and exciting opportunity."

Not so much an update, just a slide with a massing in skyline context from Choice Properties REIT's Q2 Investor Presentation:

1598365815186.png

Attachments

• 1598365303676.png
    1598365303676.png
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Outside of a few tweaks so far design wise...there's been no attempts to water this down. Thank goodness.

Everything is looking real sharp on this one, with the exception of the crown which is rather unfortunate.

None of you guys have noticed the spandrel on the podium. wasn't there in the first renders. im trying to figure out, is it grey or white or light brown? the sunlight in the render makes it difficult to tell.
20210111_001629.jpg

20210111_001509.jpg

20210111_002115.jpg

Last edited:
No...those have been there since the first renders.

Yep. That's still spandrel as far as I am aware, even if they changed the look of it.

It is I hope so it's very unique looking facade for this area UtakataNoAnnex ! I'm afraid to see another all glass facade .
I'm more afraid the window choice would become a distraction to the current design...like it does with lot of projects that opt for cheaper window products. And you can just call me Uta! :)

Back