I’m always shocked when I see what’s been destroyed in the past. Will we ever learn our lesson?

Today, working ongoing.
AF0E4172-06EC-4934-AEDF-810F50A2FE26.jpeg
8E219E64-9FAB-4726-9E31-6CE6DFDD8304.jpeg

This is like a greatest hits showcase of some of the now solidly overdone cladding choices from the last 10-ish years: toothpaste-coloured, semi-translucent balcony glass for the shaft, and white panel cladding for the rest. Almost as if the discards from Ivory on Adelaide and 1000 Bay were barfed onto the side of the Bay building.

Maybe the shaft will have some cool lighting element that will work well with the frosting. That's all I can think of.

That would be very much in line with W's signature style. I think you're right.

I wish they'd reclad the entire building in this pattern. Or open it up the building like they did for Nordstrom at Eaton Centre. This intersection is improving significantly but this corner will always be an eyesore for as long as the building remains a concrete bunker.

That would be very much in line with W's signature style. I think you're right.

I wish they'd reclad the entire building in this pattern. Or open it up the building like they did for Nordstrom at Eaton Centre. This intersection is improving significantly but this corner will always be an eyesore for as long as the building remains a concrete bunker.
I believe Larco only owns the eastern half (maybe even third) of the complex, so it's up to the other owner to renovate/improve their part. Just hope we won't be getting a mismatched cladding when they do. The non-identical twin look may be cute on a Victorian semi-detached in Kensington Market, not so much on a '70s bunker at Yonge & Bloor.

There hasn't been any work at this site recently. Especially when they were full steam ahead in the previous week.
There is some work on street level which could be considered "infrastructure work, but nothing on the lighting or, elevator shaft of new roof top lounge.

Is it not included as "essential" construction in the province's Stay-at-Home order?

There hasn't been any work at this site recently. Especially when they were full steam ahead in the previous week.
There is some work on street level which could be considered "infrastructure work, but nothing on the lighting or, elevator shaft of new roof top lounge.

Is it not included as "essential" construction in the province's Stay-at-Home order?
I assume it's not considered essential - though covering up this mess might be considered a public service!

I assume it's not considered essential - though covering up this mess might be considered a public service!
Yeah, hotels and entertainment facilities seem to be among the small number of building types for which construction is not considered essential, architectural merit be damned.

Hi all -

I assume this one's frozen somewhere in COVID-related limbo, right? Quick question - does anyone have the planning application number for this project? I've been trying to hunt down any new floor plans or details on the city's planning applications portal but have been coming up empty.

Thanks in advance!

khabah

Back