Nov 21, 2020

20201121_094255.jpg
20201121_094324.jpg
20201121_094327.jpg
20201121_094345.jpg

It's a shame this structure will covered by one massive wall and not window or curtain wall! Something similar to the Goldring UofT gym.

I love this building. I suppose it was a high school at some point in the past? It sure looks like an old high school. I'm so pleased it is being restored. I hope it will be lt up at night.

I love this building. I suppose it was a high school at some point in the past? It sure looks like an old high school. I'm so pleased it is being restored. I hope it will be lt up at night.

It currently is a high/secondary school. Before the renovations, it operated as one that accepts students between Grade 7-12, with tuition required.

The building was also used as the school in the 2006 Film, Take the Lead starring Antonio Banderas. ;)

Oh thank you. I did attend spanish classes there 15 or more years ago in the evening and thought it to be part of U of T at that time.

Oh thank you. I did attend spanish classes there 15 or more years ago in the evening and thought it to be part of U of T at that time.
It's still part of UofT. Currently the school is operated from temporary location, and will return when construction is completed.

It currently is a high/secondary school. Before the renovations, it operated as one that accepts students between Grade 7-12, with tuition required.

The building was also used as the school in the 2006 Film, Take the Lead starring Antonio Banderas. ;)

It would be funny if Antonio Banderas saw the Kirby and the Pokémon mural inside the school building while filming Take the Lead (but obviously did not film that part for legal reasons).

Warning! A brief historical note: UTS, University of Toronto Schools, has been a school since 1910, based in that building. It was founded as an experimental and model school for the university, in a building shared with the college of education. The reason for the plural, “schools” was that there were supposed to be parallel schools for boys and girls but they never got round to establishing a girls school. It was boys only until the early 70’s when it became coeducational.

The school was partially supported by the province so that fees used to be quite low. One’s family didn’t have to be uber wealthy to attend. That funding was cancelled under the administration of Bob Rae who declared UTS was elitist. That would have been more convincing coming from somebody other than Upper Canada College graduate Rae. Of course, the result of all this is that it is now dependent on high fees and is indeed economically elitist. FWIW, I think it should be publicly funded like other schools, and accessible to all economic levels.

Warning! A brief historical note: UTS, University of Toronto Schools, has been a school since 1910, based in that building. It was founded as an experimental and model school for the university, in a building shared with the college of education. The reason for the plural, “schools” was that there were supposed to be parallel schools for boys and girls but they never got round to establishing a girls school. It was boys only until the early 70’s when it became coeducational.

The school was partially supported by the province so that fees used to be quite low. One’s family didn’t have to be uber wealthy to attend. That funding was cancelled under the administration of Bob Rae who declared UTS was elitist. That would have been more convincing coming from somebody other than Upper Canada College graduate Rae. Of course, the result of all this is that it is now dependent on high fees and is indeed economically elitist. FWIW, I think it should be publicly funded like other schools, and accessible to all economic levels.
There is a bursary fund available to families who cannot afford the tuition fees… but yes, it would be nice to return to the days when the fund wasn't necessary.

Back