Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Community Engagement notices have gone out for a new modular supportive housing site.

The site is simply labelled as Trenton Avenue.

I am quite certain it is the parking lot located on Trenton Avenue @ Cedarvale.

1613852673679.png

Aerial view of site:

1613852984637.png

Judging by the FB commentary this will generate an interesting push-pull.

The 'But think of the Children' stuff has already started; but there is strong pushback as well in that FB group (in favour of the housing)

I imagine this will go through, it's Councillor Bradford's ward.

The report on this to Planning and Housing will be online next week.

Good to see phase 2 moving forward.

Last edited:
Just found out about this. I never received noticed and I live on Bracebridge.

I am a property manager and have seen and experienced projects like this devastate the property value, bring drugs and an increase the crime rate. We need to pass on this project. I will fight and complete a door knocking campaign to inform the neighborhood.

Just found out about this. I never received noticed and I live on Bracebridge.

I am a property manager and have seen and experienced projects like this devastate the property value, bring drugs and an increase the crime rate. We need to pass on this project. I will fight and complete a door knocking campaign to inform the neighborhood.

Sounds like you really care about the community if you’re going door to door during COVID. “Spread” the word!

I will social distance. And yes I will do it during Covid to protect my property value, safety and children. Thanks for trying to guilt me... but it won’t work.

I will social distance. And yes I will do it during Covid to protect my property value, safety and children. Thanks for trying to guilt me... but it won’t work.

If you’re looking to outlet those views of yours, can I suggest writing the planner, your councillor and attending the virtual community consultation? You’ll be able to do so from the comfort of Bracebridge and you won’t need to get you DNA all over your neighbour’s doorbells.

I am doing that as well. And if your worried about door bells.... I will use a stick. You trying to deter me... I already told you... I won’t work.

I wonder how you would feel, if your were about to lose $200-$300k on the value of your property? How would you feel if this was going to be built in your backyard... literally! How would you feel when you kids find needles in the playground

I bet you would change your view.

I would guarantee that most people have no idea this is happening. They need to be informed. Once I do this, you will see what happens.

Reactions: CDS
I am doing that as well. And if your worried about door bells.... I will use a stick. You trying to deter me... I already told you... I won’t work.

I wonder how you would feel, if your were about to lose $200-$300k on the value of your property? How would you feel if this was going to be built in your backyard... literally! How would you feel when you kids find needles in the playground

I would guarantee that most people have no idea this is happening. They need to be informed. Once I do this, you will see what happens.

In respect of publicity, this is in the Councillor's newsletter.

On the subject of your position.

I think you'll find the evidence doesn't support your concern.

Putting aside the appropriateness of vehement opposition to the homeless........

Some of whom already camp on the nearby hillside of Taylor Creek Park......

This is not a homeless shelter.

It is transitional, supportive housing.

Individual units, with fridges and a cooktop, privacy and locked doors; no one is booted out during the daytime as may be the case with many shelters.

The units are essentially micro-apartments.

The building will also have 24/7 support staff.

In terms of this type of development having a detrimental impact on the community.

It's worth saying that only 2 of this precise-type of housing have been built, and only one substantially occupied for the last few weeks.

It seems premature to pass judgement.

Nonetheless, you might want to inquire about the development on Macey and whether there is any evidence of it having had the type of impact you suggest.

A final note, on property values; May I suggest that you actually see if there is evidence in support of that position.

Brand new high-end condominiums are about to be built, literally across Queen Street from one of the largest shelters (not transitional housing) in the City.

It would seem developers with deep pockets don't feel the site will impinge on a healthy profit....

Reactions: max

You have the support of SO many shocked residents of the neighbourhood. The lack of transparency and what feels like secrecy has caught everyone in the immediate area off guard. I know residents on Trenton who were never informed and found out as we all are now. That is unbelievable. This is not the right place for a residence like this, it's a residential area across from schools, daycares, community pool, kiddie splash pad, family parks, etc. The area has no personal supportive services in the vicinity, let alone easy access to grocery stores or personal needs beyond Shoppers which is not affordable.

People invest their life savings to live in Toronto and pay exceptional prices plus double land transfer tax for the right and privilege in this city, and I cannot image being one of the direct residents who may have a much harder time realizing their futures. There are 64 people moving in but thousands are going to be impacted by this move. These places do come with issues. These are people coming off the streets and unfortunately it is a fact that there are issues that come with this. I know cops, nurses and people who have lived near these types of residences. They change the neighbourhood significantly and the right neighbourbood should be selected. Surely nobody will volunteer their street, but there are some areas better suited than others.

And note, Macey is in not in the centre of a super, quiet residential area like Trenton is. There are no school and parks, there are more similar larger buildings, it's a VERY different area. There are city services directly across the street, easy access to food, grocery, coffee shops, etc.

You're not alone, people are standing with you and speak out to make their voices heard. More thought needs to be put into this.

People invest their life savings to live in Toronto and pay exceptional prices plus double land transfer tax for the right and privilege in this city, and I cannot image being one of the direct residents who may have a much harder time realizing their futures. There are 64 people moving in but thousands are going to be impacted by this move. These places do come with issues. These are people coming off the streets and unfortunately it is a fact that there are issues that come with this. I know cops, nurses and people who have lived near these types of residences. They change the neighbourhood significantly and the right neighbourbood should be selected. Surely nobody will volunteer their street, but there are some areas better suited than others.

You do? When only 1 facility that is highly comparable has been occupied, and for less than 2 months?

And note, Macey is in not in the centre of a super, quiet residential area like Trenton is. There are no school and parks.

This is flat-out wrong.

Here's an image of the Macey area:

1614020591063.png

The patch of grass on the left of the picture is now the Supportive Housing.

A neighbourhood park is located literally across the street, less than 30M away.

The nearest school yard is only 118M away, directly across from said park.

Also, the nearest hirise multi-residential rental building is only 125M away from this site.

Which, I don't happen to think is particularly relevant.

But the suggestion that this is some insulated, isolated parcel of single-family housing simply isn't right.

You are welcome to your preferences; but please don't mis-state facts in service of your position.

You do? When only 1 facility that is highly comparable has been occupied, and for less than 2 months?

This is flat-out wrong.

View attachment 301363

A neighbourhood park is located literally across the street, less than 30M away.

This is flat-out wrong.

View attachment 301363

You are welcome to your preferences; but please don't mis-state facts in service of your position.

This is flat-out wrong.

View attachment 301363

Also, the nearest hirise multi-residential rental building is only 125M away from this site.

Which, I don't happen to think is particularly relevant.

But the suggestion that this is some insulated, isolated parcel of single-family housing simply isn't right.

But there is a distinct difference between being directly across the street, and being down the street or a street over from a school. The school and kingergarten playground is literally across the sidewalk from the proposed location.

If you are familiar with the area you would also know the nearest hi rise might not be an optimal hang out for people trying to right their lives. There were two murders, one still unsolved and that was connected to hanging out at that hi rise, within the last three years. Also, this area may have been developed as a residential area over the years with limitations to hi rise and larger buildings. It is full of residential houses, it's just an observation. Not a judgement.

No one is trying to deter you. Go have a walkabout with your COVID stick if you have to. You might find some of your neighbours are less scandalized by supportive housing than you are.

"This is a residential area! It's no place for a residence!"

The (barely) underlying logic being, if you can afford to purchase/rent a home at Toronto's exorbitant rates, you are a resident. If not, you're... something Other. Money bestows full citizenship, and its absence apparently creates inhuman monsters who need to be warehoused somewhere far away.

Just for context for those that don't know the area well, here are some images of the proposed location and its proximity to the elementary school, and specifically the kindergarten playground:

parksidedistance.JPG

The Macey Ave location is much closer to the subway, and in general many more amenities. Here is that location, on a bigger map:
MaceyAve.JPG

The Trenton Ave location is much further away from the subway, as well as basic amenities (save for Shoppers), as someone previously mentioned.
Trenton.JPG

Back