Viewed from a distance it feels like an awkward glomming of the new onto the old. Viewed up close, I can see some nice details in the execution. I wish more attention was paid to providing colour accents in the new build to echo the brick of the original building.

North face on February 18, 2021. Photo: Nick Kozak.

IMG_8426.jpg

I wish there were 2 peaks separated by a valley in this design (similar to the BIG project on King St) to reduce the impact of the wide east-west face when looking from Queen Street. Not sure the economics would work but it would have provided more light to reach the units, more corner views and generally better massing.

St. Andrew's Playground Improvements – Construction to begin March 16

The City is investing in improvements to St. Andrew’s Playground Park at 450 Adelaide Street West. Improvements include updated amenities and programming, increased connectivity to the surrounding area, and an expansion of the park to include the parking lot on the western edge of the site. Construction of St. Andrew's Playground will begin Tuesday, March 16.

City staff anticipate 6-7 months of work, with the park tentatively opening in Fall 2021. Staff will provide monthly updates through the construction period. More information, including the final concept plan, can be found on the project website here.

There's actually very little traditional, back-painted, spandrel here. Most of what you see are black, porcelain, panels. Much better looking, but far more expensive.
Did they in fact go forward with porcelain? The pieces of various sizes, when stacked near the loading area, appeared to be metal in nature but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Back