51168002720_bdfe91f833_b.jpg
sorry for being offtopic, is it just me or did they change the facade of mechanical on Daniels tower?

Design is crappy but quality is top notch. never seen anything like this before in Toronto. Solid project.

Seems like a guard test is underway...

View attachment 318608

Thanks for all the great pics, and finally a good look at the balcony treatment. While I can no longer access the documents, it does seem they went with the version seen in documents. It's the most chaotic but possibly most visually interesting version that's been presented. Early indications show it to be a bit lighter than the renders (how it usually is with real world lighting) but I felt there needs to be something to be said here about this final iteration they seem to have decided on, so I'm going to write a bit, even though it's early on in the installation. See below for an idea of the final balcony look from documents:

1620692049358.png

To get a better idea of where things go from these first few bits of balcony, I headed over to photoshop to create a mockup of what we may see down the line in a few more weeks of installation with this design idea. Keep in mind that I don't have the documents so I just made up a pattern that looked similar. (Thanks again @skycandy for the photo):

sw2.jpg

Take it how you will, and come up with your own feelings, but here's a few words I have:

1. I like that this might actually appear quite bold in the skyline, didn't realize it'd contrast this way.

2. If I had early criticism, it's that the darkest parts of the pattern are too light in some situations, it doesn't take away from how punchy it is, but if the grey takes up too much space it's gonna be quite ugly. EDIT: other photos make it look darker, so it's hard to tell yet.

3. I do fear this may end up looking messy, while the previous iteration was pretty boring, it wouldn't likely suffer the same way, especially depending on the window wall behind it.

And one more thought this gave me was, why no punches of colour? This treatment takes a grey and white approach to 539 Swanston St in Melbourne. (via Google Streetview)

1620692890296.png

While that building's color scheme would probably not work well here, as you risk it being quite messy again, the fear of a mess shouldn't hold us back from doing unique things. Something more bold would've been quite playful in the skyline. Like this mockup with yellows, pinks, and oranges.

sw1.jpg

Last edited:
They did that back in the Fall I believe. Doesn't make a lick of difference as it's still a horrific pile of trash.
They got rid of the checkered flag in exchange for a gorgeous black strip of paint that already looks 20 years old. Horrific my ass /s

Thank goodness we have pinnacle and sugar warf going up to help block out some of the views of Daniel's (unfortunately the waterfront angle can never be fixed)

Thanks for all the great pics, and finally a good look at the balcony treatment. While I can no longer access the documents, it does seem they went with the version seen in documents. It's the most chaotic but possibly most visually interesting version that's been presented. Early indications show it to be a bit lighter than the renders (how it usually is with real world lighting) but I felt there needs to be something to be said here about this final iteration they seem to have decided on, so I'm going to write a bit, even though it's early on in the installation. See below for an idea of the final balcony look from documents:

View attachment 318705

To get a better idea of where things go from these first few bits of balcony, I headed over to photoshop to create a mockup of what we may see down the line in a few more weeks of installation with this design idea. Keep in mind that I don't have the documents so I just made up a pattern that looked similar. (Thanks again @skycandy for the photo):

View attachment 318708

Take it how you will, and come up with your own feelings, but here's a few words I have:

1. I like that this might actually appear quite bold in the skyline, didn't realize it'd contrast this way.

2. If I had early criticism, it's that the darkest parts of the pattern are too light in some situations, it doesn't take away from how punchy it is, but if the grey takes up too much space it's gonna be quite ugly. EDIT: other photos make it look darker, so it's hard to tell yet.

3. I do fear this may end up looking messy, while the previous iteration was pretty boring, it wouldn't likely suffer the same way, especially depending on the window wall behind it.

And one more thought this gave me was, why no punches of colour? This treatment takes a grey and white approach to 539 Swanston St in Melbourne. (via Google Streetview)

View attachment 318710

While that building's color scheme would probably not work well here, as you risk it being quite messy again, the fear of a mess shouldn't hold us back from doing unique things. Something more bold would've been quite playful in the skyline. Like this mockup with yellows, pinks, and oranges.

View attachment 318712
Also fantastic mockups here. I wanna see a sunset orange building on the waterfront now lol

I'm intrigued but nervous about that balcony cladding. This could look quite unique, or it could look similar to the Daniels mess next door.

That can't be the way they're going to finish the balconies in the photos up above ? Wow !! The gray black and white is plenty for the esthetic look in my opinion.

I'm intrigued but nervous about that balcony cladding. This could look quite unique, or it could look similar to the Daniels mess next door.
This building has a lot more going for it aside from the balcony cladding. It's already a step up from Daniels. There's no way it will look as bad.

i think it's a safe bet that we'll end up with a slightly different harbour plaza. same developer, same architect, similar design but with darker cladding. harbour plaza was executed pretty well so i'm optimistic.

Back