8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a thread for this, but the 16 storey 80s addition at 330 bay is getting a reclad. From https://leasing.dream.ca/building/330-bay-street

1620679771323.png
1620679751475.png

1620679762344.png

1620680587795.png

The building currently, courtesy of Emporis:

1620679890400.png

Last edited:
It looks almost designed to hide out from plain sight originally. The glass upgrade done well will hopefully make that building less shy.

This idiom of “blue curtain wall with syncopated fins” is going to look dated in 10 years - tops.

I quite like the existing building. No doubt this is a minority opinion

This idiom of “blue curtain wall with syncopated fins” is going to look dated in 10 years - tops.

I'll split the difference by agreeing with this.

But also saying, the existing building does nothing good for me.

Was this not the site of the Savarin Tavern whose Spanish facade was incorporated into the interior of 330 Bay?

Yes, this was the former location of the Savarin Tavern. Some info from the Toronto Postcard Club on Facebook:

The Savarin, a popular restaurant and tavern for nearly fifty years, was built at 336 Bay Street in 1928, and was the work of the firm of N.A. Armstrong, architects. It was designated in 1980 under the Ontario Heritage Act. To provide for redevelopment of the site, the Queenston limestone facade with bronze windows was dismantled and stored while a new building was erected. The facade was reconstructed in an enclosed courtyard, during a major renovation of the Northern Ontario Building at the northwest corner of Bay and Adelaide Streets in 1982.

sav.jpg
sav2.jpg
sav3.jpg
sav4.jpg

Hopefully they dont plan on using the same bargin bin glass that Cadillac Fairview used for the the Simpson Tower.

Yeah, it was meant to be a "contextual" background building in the first place. So if it seems excessively "neutral"--that's the point here (and c'mon, it's the Bay Street "canyon", to be so-called boring and to blend in is a plus, not everything's meant to be Instagrammy, etc).

Sooner or later, we have to snap out of this neurosis that declares the curtain walls and cladding of the past "dated" and to be totally-new-look churned like regular software upgrades.

Yeah, it was meant to be a "contextual" background building in the first place. So if it seems excessively "neutral"--that's the point here (and c'mon, it's the Bay Street "canyon", to be so-called boring and to blend in is a plus, not everything's meant to be Instagrammy, etc).

Sooner or later, we have to snap out of this neurosis that declares the curtain walls and cladding of the past "dated" and to be totally-new-look churned like regular software upgrades.
Sure but the commercial office market cares not for history and nuance. Everything precisely does have to be "Instagrammy" etc. to get the desired NERs. It's less a neurosis than the reality that a somewhat "dated" building will make less money for DREAM than a 'curtain wall retrofit'.

It sucks, and I don't like it, but that's the empty world of CRE.

Sure but the commercial office market cares not for history and nuance. Everything precisely does have to be "Instagrammy" etc. to get the desired NERs. It's less a neurosis than the reality that a somewhat "dated" building will make less money for DREAM than a 'curtain wall retrofit'.

It sucks, and I don't like it, but that's the empty world of CRE.
Well, as I've suggested before, as goeth commercial, so goeth residential--and you can be almost certain that if any of the people behind this modus operandi had a house in, say, Forest Hill, it's likely to be a new build. It's how they roll.

Regarding the above:

c9598389-6763-d9bc-123d-26503b1987df.png

Untitled by Jorian Charlton is a stunning new artwork adorning Dream’s 330 Bay St., the largest to date among the Year of Public Art pieces unveiled in 2021, spanning 3,000 sq. ft. and climbing 70 ft. high. The art will be on display until Spring 2022, as construction is underway on the building to modernize its façade, and Dream continues its ongoing revitalization efforts in the Financial District. Charlton is an emerging portrait photographer based in Toronto. Her work focuses on Jamaican-Canadian culture through her personal experiences, highlighting beauty and style when it comes to contemporary modes of Black representation.​
The art piece is part of ArtworxTO: Toronto’s Year of Public Art 2021–2022, a year-long celebration of Toronto’s exceptional public art collection and the creative community behind it. Working closely with artists and Toronto’s arts institutions, the City of Toronto will deliver major public art projects and commissions. Supporting local artists and new artworks that reflect Toronto’s diversity, ArtworxTO is creating more opportunities for citizens to engage with art in their everyday lives.​

While obviously the artwork can already be seen, the official unveiling is tomorrow at 1.30 PM, and undoubtedly there will be more news after that.

Back