I take it Greenland are taking a page out of the Gupta Group playbook, who slapped their logo on their Dundas Square Gardens condo project:

DSC_0623.JPG

I take it Greenland are taking a page out of the Gupta Group playbook, who slapped their logo on their Dundas Square Gardens condo project:

View attachment 331437
Insecure move from newbie insecure developers
I don't see Tridel, Menkes, Daniels etc. doing any of this branding on their building sml
Product quality and words of mouth is much louder perception

Daniels did slap their logo on the City of the Arts monstrosity. Westbank did it at Shangri-La and will be doing it at 19 Duncan. Kaneff does it to a bunch of their stuff too.

This gets a pretty big shrug from me.

Insecure move from newbie insecure developers
I don't see Tridel, Menkes, Daniels etc. doing any of this branding on their building sml
Product quality and words of mouth is much louder perception
Greenland is definitely not a newbie (they are relatively new to Canada though) and is one of the largest developers in the world.

Every single company in China is partly owned by the state. Greenland is a Chinese developer and therefor is partly owned by the state.
OT: Somehow I think the messaging got missed in the hyperbole here. While the line between Chinese private interests and their government is quite blurry at times...and we should be reasonably weary because of that, it is erroneous to claim that China is directly constructing buildings in our jurisdiction. These are for profit entities that are subject to same laws that every other developer is here as far as I am aware and should be treated as such.

That said, if folks want to avoid dealing with those entities because of China's track record on human rights, that's fair game. But that's a different matter altogether, IMO.

OT: Somehow I think the messaging got missed in the hyperbole here. While the line between Chinese private interests and their government is quite blurry at times...and we should be reasonably weary because of that, it is erroneous to claim that China is directly constructing buildings in our jurisdiction. These are for profit entities that are subject to same laws that every other developer is here as far as I am aware and should be treated as such.

That said, if folks want to avoid dealing with those entities because of China's track record on human rights, that's fair game. But that's a different matter altogether, IMO.
Not to excuse anything, but, I mean, now do America...or Great Britain, etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps all this political chatter is because this edifice is the same colour as ....Darth Vader.....

Back