This is a very decent proposal, with what looks like quality materials (a decent glass) and a decent form. And Freed almost always comes through with his designs and intentions. So there is that.

I am not sure what the city is getting at the ground level in terms of retail space, as we are losing at least 4 very unique uses that added vitality to the area. I am not sure this area will be all that "entertaining" if the sidewalks are always facing large blank walls of glass. (but let's argue about a few metres of height, shall we? ;))

I only count one person that devolved the debate into about free speech though...

Back on topic, it's an okay proposal from my end too. I'm just not going to hold my breath on it till it's all finalized.

This is a very decent proposal, with what looks like quality materials (a decent glass) and a decent form. And Freed almost always comes through with his designs and intentions. So there is that.

I am not sure what the city is getting at the ground level in terms of retail space, as we are losing at least 4 very unique uses that added vitality to the area. I am not sure this area will be all that "entertaining" if the sidewalks are always facing large blank walls of glass. (but let's argue about a few metres of height, shall we? ;))

This is a perfect example of a great proposal for the wrong area.

Say what you will about what's currently there, but the buildings/establishments have character, and as you mentioned, add vitality.

I don't see that happening with this base, as nice as it looks in renderings. From a street level perspective I could see it being quite sterile.

Last edited:
This is a perfect example of a great proposal for wrong area.

Say what you will about what's currently there, but the buildings/establishments have character, and as you mentioned, add vitality.

I don't see that happening with this base, as nice as it looks in renderings. From a street level perspective I could see it being quite sterile.

Agreed completely, that's why I said this could use some of Entertainment District heritage warehouse and brick architecture
This would be good for somewhere like Southcore by the lake or the East Portland where there was no architecture before

Would like to see some brick and podium complimenting the heritage buildings surrounding it, including the 19 Duncan heritage facade across the street

Great to see another AS+GG building.
Though it's in very early stages, I also agree it's disappointing to see the angular detailing in the podium rendering completely absent in the architectural drawings.

Here are two images showing the development in context:

50755231458_5eec799162_k.jpg

50755967236_a73fbda464_k.jpg

Agreed completely, that's why I said this could use some of Entertainment District heritage warehouse and brick architecture
This would be good for somewhere like Southcore by the lake or the East Portland where there was no architecture before

Would like to see some brick and podium complimenting the heritage buildings surrounding it, including the 19 Duncan heritage facade across the street

Very much agreed, a brick facade stretching up 5-6 storeys would do this development wonders, much like 19 Duncan as you mentioned OR PJ Condos just a little west. I absolutely adore glass towers from a skyline perspective, but frankly pure glass podiums just don't add life to the street-level of the city.

I've always wondered how entertainment venues in the city are going to go in the future. Places like Lavelle already receive complaints from residents in the condo buildings on which it is built, despite these residents having known they would be living in a building that housed an entertainment venue. I suppose if more buildings have a podium that involves en entertainment venue at ground level, followed by 3-4 floors of night-time friendly office or retail and some solid soundproofing, we can alleviate some of these issues?

Otherwise residents are just going to be as irrational as they are and decide that they don't like the noise in a building that they knew would have a bar or club in it before they bought or rented into it.

Event Information: 224-240 Adelaide Street West

Date and time:Monday, May 31, 2021 7:00 pm
Eastern Daylight Time (Toronto, GMT-04:00)
Change time zone
Panelist(s) Info:jkimont@toronto.ca
Duration:2 hours
Description:
This proposal seeks to amend the Zoning By-law to permit the redevelopment of the site with a 68-storey (219 metre) tall building containing retail space on the ground floor, office uses on floors 2 to 3 and 637 residential units above. A total of 651 bicycle spaces and 57 vehicular parking spaces are proposed in a 6 level underground garage. The existing buildings on the site are proposed to be demolished.

Join us at the Virtual Community Consultation Meeting to learn about the development proposal, provide your feedback and learn about next steps.

Does anyone know how long it would take to be in construction mode from now? like how long it normally take from submitting the re-zoning plan to actually be in construction?

Back