Having been in it a couple times, and not having been particularly charmed by it, I imagine that when First Gulf owned the lands they found there was little to no interest in leasing space in it… so 1) they rethought their commitment to redeveloping the site and vended it, and 2) CadFair has taken the lesson.

I don't believe this was the case; this is what was said publicly (BlogTo)

1625691355645.png

It was also my understanding that there had been significant leasing interest.

I assume the motivation here is number crunching around achievable heights and office floor plates; but that I don't know for certain.

I agree the building wasn't that impressive per se; but the interest in it was based on an industrial loft motif that appeals to certain sectors.

It was my understanding (and I could be corrected) that the last iteration of the Soap Factory proposal was actually a re-creation of the idea of the facade, and floor plates/ceiling heights etc. rather than adaptive re-use.

Hoping for the best, but some of these look like potentially crappy parks you'll be analyzing in a few years.

I don't believe this is even likely to be the final iteration on layout (park size and location), never mind detailed design.

I certainly intend to stick my nose right into this so the opportunity will hopefully not be wasted!

Its unfortunate that the DVP runs right along that site, it would have been nice to have something along the lines of Chicago with the river being a focal point. Can't have everything I guess. I hope they are able to keep something from the soap factory, I believe it's always down the road that we realize that dam we should have kept some of the character of the previous buildings. Toronto has done plenty of that in the past and regretted it. Otherwise I like what I am seeing.

View attachment 333428

**** note the TRCA has previously given a 'hard no' to trees on the wet side of the Flood Protection Landform (the right side of the this render), so this seems unlikely.

Any insight into why TRCA opposes trees on FPLs? I often wonder why the area surrounding Corktown Common and further north near the River City condos don't have trees. Wouldn't tree roots eventually provide more stability to the slopes and potentially some filtration to runoff headed towards the Don?

Any insight into why TRCA opposes trees on FPLs? I often wonder why the area surrounding Corktown Common and further north near the River City condos don't have trees. Wouldn't tree roots eventually provide more stability to the slopes and potentially some filtration to runoff headed towards the Don?

I think the issue is the tree roots creating a pathway for water intrusion that weakens the levee.

AoD

Answer from the WT blog:
We call the eastern edge of the park running parallel to the Don River the urban prairie or “wet side.” It features a gentle slope and walking paths that lead visitors to the Bala Underpass and connects to the Lower Don River trail network and the river beyond. You won’t find any woody vegetation (trees, shrubs, etc.) or structures here since the roots and substructures could potentially dislodge and uproot the armoured stone or clay core beneath during a flood event and compromise the landform’s ability to hold back the flood waters. Instead, it features long prairie grass that beautifies the area, and also helps prevent any erosion of the slope.

I'm a noob at AIC--can someone throw me a link to the recent data/study dump?

I'm a noob at AIC--can someone throw me a link to the recent data/study dump?

I think you'll find that Chester or I posted most of the good stuff......but by all means go digging!

When it brings up the list of applications, choose the one that starts with '21 (as in the current year) and says 'under review' beside it.

I think you'll find that Chester or I posted most of the good stuff......but by all means go digging!

When it brings up the list of applications, choose the one that starts with '21 (as in the current year) and says 'under review' beside it.

I can’t seem to find it. I just clicked the area on the map and it didn’t show up

I can’t seem to find it. I just clicked the area on the map and it didn’t show up

The new system is so incredibly user-unfriendly, you've got to wonder if it is by design. The site seems to be sort of down right now (correction, it's just slow and unresponsive)

Look up:
21 DON VALLEY PKWY
21 172637 STE 14 OZ

AoD

Working for me; @AlvinofDiaspar has another way through for you; but I suspect you just encountered the system freezing up.

It's been doing that for about a week now.

Just for reference, in terms of where the dot will be, I took a screenshot: (it's the leftmost one (closest to DVP)

1625785373769.png

Back