David Olive over at The Star has a scathing piece on the Ontario Place proposal.

He also asserts that it will never actually happen.

Then goes on to make the case that the OP should be 100% free admission, and should model itself more after Millennium Park in Chicago (which he argues lifted some traits of the original OP).

Article link here:

It is paywalled, but Outline works.
I think it would see more people visiting if it has something to attract people to it. Plus trying to compare it to millennium park in Chicago is like comparing an apple to an organe one is close to the downtown much like the islands are with Toronto well Ontario place is in the west end and not something easy for people to get to. Having a free park their isn't going to bring people to it and it isn't going to make the province anymore money then they currently get from the ampthaterare.

I think it would see more people visiting if it has something to attract people to it. Plus trying to compare it to millennium park in Chicago is like comparing an apple to an organe one is close to the downtown much like the islands are with Toronto well Ontario place is in the west end and not something easy for people to get to. Having a free park their isn't going to bring people to it and it isn't going to make the province anymore money then they currently get from the ampthaterare.

Did you read the article?

Its possible that was addressed in the article.

I honestly doubt that what he thinks about it is going to have any actual impact on anything his opinion addresses nothing at all.

Plus I can't read it because of the stars stupid pay wall stuff

Respectfully, you (nor I or anyone else) can express a credible opinion about something you have not read.

Also, I actually put in my post how to get around the paywall.

Go to www.outline.com

Place the url of the article in the appropriate spot.

You can now read the article.

Last edited:
Respectfully, you (nor I or anyone else) can't express a credible opinion about something you have not read.

Also, I actually put in my post how to get around the paywall.

Go to www.outline.com

Place the url of the article in the appropriate spot.

You can now read the article.
I don't care to read his opinion. I don't want to use a website to get around the Stars pay wall. People can have all of the opinions they want but that doesn't mean that what they want or think is going to happen. I joined this topic to find out what is happening to Ontario place not to read posts by people complaing about how it's not what they wanted and they didn't get a say in how it was done or something like that.

I don't care to read his opinion. I don't want to use a website to get around the Stars pay wall. People can have all of the opinions they want but that doesn't mean that what they want or think is going to happen. I joined this topic to find out what is happening to Ontario place not to read posts by people complaing about how it's not what they wanted and they didn't get a say in how it was done or something like that.

Shrug; then please don't bother replying to my posts. I'm here to contribute and have an exchange of informed ideas.

I don't care to read his opinion. I don't want to use a website to get around the Stars pay wall. People can have all of the opinions they want but that doesn't mean that what they want or think is going to happen. I joined this topic to find out what is happening to Ontario place not to read posts by people complaing about how it's not what they wanted and they didn't get a say in how it was done or something like tha

No offense, but has it occured to you that the forum isn't about *you* in particular?

MoD

Legitimately do not understand how you have made it to 3,226 posts on this site without realizing that people like to talk about things in threads and give their thoughts on them. Why are you so intent on shutting down peoples thoughts and saying that they don't matter? And anyway, you've found out now what the plans are, so why are you sticking around in the thread and telling people their opinions are pointless and continuing to engage in the discussion yourself? You've got your info, now can you let other people discuss it as they'd like to and stop derailing the thread? Borderline trolling to be honest. Really odd and unkind behaviour towards other forum members and also strange deference to the PC government's lack of engagement and questionable plans.

However I do agree that they do need to announce more things I also hope that the city anounnces something with the exhibition grounds as outside of the enercare centre nothing is used year round.

Why are you expressing your opinion here? It wont be able to change anything and is a waste of time! I'm looking for hard info about plans here not people's opinions! /s

No offense, but has it occured to you that the forum isn't about *you* in particular?

MoD
I it's not but it seems like after the anouncments everyone is all butt hurt that what they wanted isn't going to happen so they look for anything that shares their opinion and sat that it's facts because it was published in a newspaper as an opinion peace.

I it's not but it seems like after the anouncments everyone is all butt hurt that what they wanted isn't going to happen so they look for anything that shares their opinion and sat that it's facts because it was published in a newspaper as an opinion peace.

Who said anything about opinions being facts? You didn't bother reading it - and it's been clearly mentioned by the poster that they are assertions by the author of the opinion piece.

I dare say half of what you have posted on UT are personal opinions that doesn't matter an iota (nevermind riddled with spelling mistakes) - should I start Modding them now - by the very own standards that you refused to follow yourself?

MoD

MoD
I read his article but I still don't see anything he says as being away to actually get people to come to Ontario place the revolving stage in the old ampthaterare was a novelty sure but today's performers don't always plan their stage shows for one unless they are traveling with a fully customized stage and don't want to put up with something that they don't have anywhere else.

I read his article but I still don't see anything he says as being away to actually get people to come to Ontario place the revolving stage in the old ampthaterare was a novelty sure but today's performers don't always plan their stage shows for one unless they are traveling with a fully customized stage and don't want to put up with something that they don't have anywhere else.

You literally said this a few posts ago:

Don't play word games.

MoD

David Olive over at The Star has a scathing piece on the Ontario Place proposal.

He also asserts that it will never actually happen.

Then goes on to make the case that the OP should be 100% free admission, and should model itself more after Millennium Park in Chicago (which he argues lifted some traits of the original OP).

Article link here:

It is paywalled, but Outline works.
David Olive has no love for the current premier or for the PC party, one just has to read the his previous rants about the current Goverment.

The least he can do is try not to be bias and be accurate on what he writes.

Millennium Park cost $490,000,000.00 US ($614,000,000.00 CAN) in 2004 dollars not $360 million as he reported, in todays construction cost would exceed $1.2 B and if the Government was funding it it would exceed $2 Billion

It's laughable to compare Ontario Place to Stanley Park, Mount Royal, Central Park, Hyde Park, or Luxembourg Gardens.

The only thing that i am opposed to is that Ontario Place becoming just more Green Space that is under utilized, we need to make it a place where we can attract year round active uses, we need to bury the parking lots, we need to utilize the existing pods, cinesphere better then they have been, i am not a big fan of the current proposal but i can see some good in some parts of the proposal.

In my opinion we will never have a Stanley Park or a Central park unless we create better access to the Islands or we fill in a section of the lake to create a new land mass to create a new park along the waterfront.

You literally said this a few posts ago:

Don't play word games.

MoD
I decided to read it because it's apprently important that I did I still don't see anything in it that would actually support Ontario place being free and would attract people to come to it most of it is based on pure nestalga for what it was in the 70's and 80's. People have changed the way they look at things now and a large children's play area like they had then isn't what today's parents want to take their kids too anymore. I also pointed out that the revolving stage isn't going to attract major artists to come to Ontario place because it's a gimic that they would have to design one show around instead of just being able to come in set up and leave the next day, bands that use things like revolving stages have them specialty designed for them from the ground up so that they have control over everything and they would be more likely to perform at the Scotiabank arena or Rogers centre over one at Ontario place.

David Olive has no love for the current premier or for the PC party, one just has to read the his previous rants about the current Goverment.

The least he can do is try not to be bias and be accurate on what he writes.

Millennium Park cost $490,000,000.00 US ($614,000,000.00 CAN) in 2004 dollars not $360 million as he reported, in todays construction cost would exceed $1.2 B and if the Government was funding it it would exceed $2 Billion

Its laughable to compare Ontario Place to Stanley Park, Mount Royal, Central Park, Hyde Park, or Luxembourg Gardens.

The only thing that i am opposed to is that Ontario Place becoming just more Green Space that is under utilized, we need to make it a place where we can attract year round active uses, we need to bury the parking lots, we need to utilize the existing pods, cinesphere better then they have been, i am not a big fan of the current proposal but i can see some good in some parts of the proposal.

In my opinion we will never have a Stanley Park or a Central park unless we create better access to the Islands or we fill in a section of the lake to create a new land mass to create a new park along the waterfront.
Well said your much better than I am at trying to say things like this.

Back