Menkes plays major role in Toronto downtown east revival​

From the article linked above, a couple of excerpts of note:

1629205772260.png

Also the Whitfield at Sherbourne/Front is pegged for a January (2022) construction start.

Interesting - a 30,000 square-foot grocery store next door to a large Loblaws. Hopefully the competition drives improvement.

Maybe they are counting on the inevitable redevelopment of the Loblaws site. Loblaws will have to take a phased approach to retain that store without closure. This new one sitting by a huge LCBO can only be unique magnet.

Or maybe Loblaws would just move in to this new location and close the existing one for redevelopment?

AoD

Maybe they are counting on the inevitable redevelopment of the Loblaws site. Loblaws will have to take a phased approach to retain that store without closure. This new one sitting by a huge LCBO can only be unique magnet.

Or maybe Loblaws would just move in to this new location and close the existing one for redevelopment?

AoD
The Loblaws move into the base of Sugar Wharf is my bet. Once that's completed, Choice can redevelop their site much more freely.

Isn't 30,000 square feet a bit small for a Loblaws though? That's only 20% larger than the flagship LCBO. The current Lower Jarvis location is apparently 60,000 square feet, so that would be quite a downsizing...

I'm surprised they don't have an active development application yet if that is the case. And yea, that space would be a bit small.

I suspect that when Loblaws redevelops they will do so on their own site, demolishing the parking garage as a first phase and building a new loblaws in the base of that building before demolishing the actual store and building there.

Isn't 30,000 square feet a bit small for a Loblaws though? That's only 20% larger than the flagship LCBO. The current Lower Jarvis location is apparently 60,000 square feet, so that would be quite a downsizing...
When that store opened, it was the only Loblaws in the downtown area other Christie/Dupont, and everyone went there… then Maple Leaf Gardens opened, then the Queen and Portland store opened, and now the West Block store has opened. When I was last in there it was much quieter than when it first opened, and I doubt Loblaws needs 60,000 square feet at Jarvis and Queens Quay anymore.

Last I heard (late 2019 or so), Loblaws has this store in their 10 year + bucket. Quiet though it may seem, it's still a huge moneymaker so they're under no real pressure to redevelop at this time.

As a general rule too, folks have to stop thinking of Choice as an active development agency, and more something that was established to protect Loblaws' long-term interests.

When that store opened, it was the only Loblaws in the downtown area other Christie/Dupont, and everyone went there… then Maple Leaf Gardens opened, then the Queen and Portland store opened, and now the West Block store has opened.

Did they close the Arcade building one on Yonge the year Queen's Quay opened?

1629230597595.png

When I was last in there it was much quieter than when it first opened,

It is.

and I doubt Loblaws needs 60,000 square feet at Jarvis and Queens Quay anymore.

They don't ***

The MLG store is doing gangbusters numbers and LBL will add another downtown location as that one is straining to keep up to demand!

I'm surprised they don't have an active development application yet if that is the case. And yea, that space would be a bit small.

I
Yeah not active but kind of an agreement with the city on the Lower Yonge Official Plan Amendment that there wont be any obstacles blocking them in the future from building two towers of, 60s + 52s

Cross post from the Sugar Wharf thread:

Based on this item coming to TEYCC next week it looks like ChoiceREIT is considering two towers for the Loblaw's lot.

Relevant photo and a snippet of the text:
View attachment 176156

City Council authorize the City Solicitor, together with City Planning staff and any other appropriate staff, to attend before the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal in support of a settlement of the Lower Yonge Official Plan Amendment with permissions for two towers on Block 7, which is bounded by New Street, Harbour Street, Lower Jarvis Street and Lake Shore Boulevard East.

I sound like a broken record, but I wish they would break up some of the retail along Harbour St so there’s more than 3 storefronts and a cafe across 2 city blocks.
Yeah. There is room for at least two banks, two dentists, two pot shops, two A&Ws (or maybe a Popeyes) and a Shoppers before you get to the cafe!

all these name brands - we'll never see a replication of the small vibrant independent mom and pop shops that used to dot the brick row buildings of yonge street

Back