I know this applies to pretty much every building but couldn't help myself

04_changes%20in%20Design.jpg

Source: Leewardists.com
Frame 1-3.png

Sources: UT Database, Riseth

Sometimes Design Review Panel gets stuff right. In this case, telling them to "go away, start again and don't copy the Ryerson Student Centre next time" was... probably an error.
This looks like an new office building in a down at heel US city.
I feel like a broken record because I say this every time the DRP comes up, but the watering down of the design here is 100% on the developer. If the DRP had said "looks great, build it", we still would have wound up getting a cheap building. If Menkes had wanted to build an iconic building that didn't look like the SLC, they would have built an iconic building that didn't look like the SLC. They wanted a cheap building, so they built a cheap building, end of story.

I feel like a broken record because I say this every time the DRP comes up, but the watering down of the design here is 100% on the developer. If the DRP had said "looks great, build it", we still would have wound up getting a cheap building. If Menkes had wanted to build an iconic building that didn't look like the SLC, they would have built an iconic building that didn't look like the SLC. They wanted a cheap building, so they built a cheap building, end of story.
Then why have a Design Review Panel then? why go through all this song and dance if it doesn't matter.
Just get rid of it so we can speed up development in the city

Then why have a Design Review Panel then? why go through all this song and dance if it doesn't matter.
Just get rid of it so we can speed up development in the city
Because, with a competent architect and a developer that cares, the DRP's feedback can help identify issues that were missed, provide different perspectives, and introduce new ideas that elevate a project's design. But they have to be working with a developer that's willing to play ball. They can't force a cheap developer to increase their budget, nor can they force a conservative developer to build something radical.

If you've never watched a recording of a DRP session, I highly recommend setting aside a couple of hours and watching one through on YouTube. I don't always agree with every piece of feedback, but the overall quality of the discussion is very high. Members are thoughtful and professional, and their comments often have nuance that gets lost if you just read the summary in the front page story.

Taken Saturday:

3 - Innovation Centre.JPG

I know the materials used on the Daniels buildings in the foreground are poor, and the Unnovation Centre while passable, was a bait and switch from the concepts initially presented; nevertheless, it is amazing to see the density that has arrived to this part of the waterfront, with some nice intimate spaces at ground level.

Back