There are 0 demo permits for work you described, do you have the addresses of those properties?
It was the 3 commercial buildings closest to Spadina. Just checked google maps I think 4 Camden - 12 Camden. Buildings were fenced off and parts of the roofs were gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the 3 commercial buildings closest to Spadina. Just checked google maps I think 4 Camden - 12 Camden. Buildings were fenced off and parts of the roofs were gone.

There's no permits on those, not even for roof work. It's possible the scope of work there somehow doesn't need a permit and is just a repair, but still odd it's happening at the same time as the other demo down the road. Was the restaurant and shop in those buildings seemingly still operating?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no permits on those, not even for roof work. It's possible the scope of work there somehow doesn't need a permit and is just a repair, but still odd it's happening at the same time as the other demo down the road. Was the restaurant and shop in those buildings seemingly still operating?
It’s the office buildings, and I think they’ve been empty for a while now. It’s these 3 buildings

63A4B9DC-861D-4256-A64D-CA45D1D37D1F.png

Attachments

• 2FABBD31-8007-47FD-9643-EC87B232F87F.png
    2FABBD31-8007-47FD-9643-EC87B232F87F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
It’s the office buildings, and I think they’ve been empty for a while now. It’s these 3 buildings
Ooh, sorry I was looking at the wrong side of the road.

There is also no development application there, but there is again really dated demo permits for all three... Hope to see development applications soon... I'd hate this cozy side street turning into parking lots for a decade beacuse of a slow developer. These are perfect midrise lots.

1630268337661.png

1630268359482.png

1630268385442.png

The land is owned by Brad Lamb.

Can confirm the businesses that were previously in those buildings were told to vacate and that a condo was planned for that location and the parking lot adjacent to it.
I have disentangled these posts from the Ace Hotel thread, as well as those for 45 and 47 Camden into a new thread for that site, but @urb@ndweller, I don't know which of the two sites your comment refers to. If it's this one, great I'll leave the post here, but if it's the other one I can move the post to that thread. Thanks!

This from our Councillor’s office when the GDNA reported it Saturday morning …

A landowner can demolish a non-residential building as-of-right in Toronto, which means the demolition permits are practically automatically issued by staff as long as basic requirements are met. There is no circulation of the information to the local councillor or any opportunity to weigh in on it. But there are exceptions, including heritage protection. The HCD is supposed to stop any "Contributing" heritage buildings from being lost in this way.
From the web tool, it looks like the demolition application was submitted in 2016, before the HCD came into effect, and generally Provincial legislation doesn’t allow for heritage and planning protections to be applied retroactively.

The worry is less parking lots than characterless and imposing condo buildings on this quiet one-block street.

C5DA14B9-43FB-4933-B0A0-CBE6BA8AB192.jpeg

Back