Please provide evidence in support of this statement.
An opinion poll? A legal judgement? Anything?

What I believe @Towered was getting at; and he'll correct me if I'm wrong..............is that he has kids, and would gladly take them to such a place.

The only attraction from the original children's village playground that I can't see being reborn at the moment would be the ball pit. As those are on outs at the moment.
Virtually everything else could be replicated in one way or another; though perhaps w/some tweaks.

You're correct! I would be overjoyed in fact to take the kids to a new version of the classic Children's Village at Ontario Place, which I spent many hours at myself as a child in the 80's. It was ridiculously fun, producing many of my fondest memories of youth, and it makes me sad that there's nothing equivalent to that experience today. I don't know why EastYorkTTCFan keeps assuming such wants are born out of simple, blind nostalgia - they're not. There were a number of aspects I remember clearly that I wouldn't advocate replicating today. With the right imagination and committment, there's no reason we can't build an entirely new CV that's 10 times as great as the original. I fail to see why that is so difficult to understand.
unfortunately in this world now there are the helicopter parents who have to be on top of their child at all times and quite frankly I don't see something like the old children's playground going over well with that crowd. If you look at any playground that has been built in the last few years and you compare it to ones when we were kids or even ones that were built 20 years ago you can see what concerns there would be about building something like the one that was there before.

unfortunately in this world now there are the helicopter parents who have to be on top of their child at all times and quite frankly I don't see something like the old children's playground going over well with that crowd. If you look at any playground that has been built in the last few years and you compare it to ones when we were kids or even ones that were built 20 years ago you can see what concerns there would be about building something like the one that was there before.

Back when I was a kid in 1992 the jungle gyms were solid metal. We also had tire swings in the mid 90s.

I took many a tire to the face as a kid. I also went full superman off the top of the jungle gym thinking I could fly (I couldn't and knocked myself out cold when I hit the sand face first)

Back when I was a kid in 1992 the jungle gyms were solid metal. We also had tire swings in the mid 90s.

I took many a tire to the face as a kid. I also went full superman off the top of the jungle gym thinking I could fly (I couldn't and knocked myself out cold when I hit the sand face first)
Yup I get that but unfortunately playgrounds aren't like that anymore for various reasons. Such as accessibly to everyone, parents having to be able to see their kid at all times and many other factors to avoid injeries to children.

The public engagement survey is now online.

Haven't read it yet...........

Here's the link:

Edit to add:

I have now finished the survey.

Mostly 'usual suspects' questions on how you have used OP in the past, how you would get there, etc.

But a couple of questions are more useful.

One involved how you would use OP if redeveloped as proposed. (with the opportunity to write in your own detailed answer)

Also, a question about what you'd like to see at OP with a couple of options that caught my eye.............

Planetarium is on that list.

1630342435244.png

Last edited:
What does that have to do with my comments over the old playground not being considered unsafe by today's satanders. Im' sorry but parents today wouy;dn't take ther kids to something like that anymore. There are too many ways for kids to get hurt or not be able to be seen by their parents. There are way too many legal issues now for the province to even look at a playground like what used to be there.

Yup I get that but unfortunately playgrounds aren't like that anymore for various reasons. Such as accessibly to everyone, parents having to be able to see their kid at all times and many other factors to avoid injeries to children.
Both of these comments are dated.
That was certainly the case for a long time, but it is changing.
If you go to newer parks, they are built to encourage more 'risk taking'.
You will notice in these newer parks that they incorporate more metal/wood/natural features and far less plastic.
If you have children in daycare, you will notice this trend too. This type of playground/risk taking is part of the YMCA's national curriculum for example.
For example, here is a brand new park in Newmarket.
Notice the boat that is belly up. You can climb right to the top on the rounded 'bottom' and are quite high with no barriers.
This type of 'risk taking' promotes problem solving skills, instills confidence, and is fun. Learning to assess risk is an essential skill for life. All of this is good for child development.
If you visit some parks built within the past 5 years, you will start to notice they are closer in spirit to parks of the 1980s, than parks of the Late 90s / 2000s.
1630350419017.png

1630350455353.png

1630350528288.png

Last edited:
The public engagement survey is now online.

Haven't read it yet...........

Here's the link:

Edit to add:

I have now finished the survey.

Mostly 'usual suspects' questions on how you have used OP in the past, how you would get there, etc.

But a couple of questions are more useful.

One involved how you would use OP if redeveloped as proposed. (with the opportunity to write in your own detailed answer)

Also, a question about what you'd like to see at OP with a couple of options that caught my eye.............

Planetarium is on that list.

View attachment 345032
I completed it after not quite following instructions the first time. These things should be easier for seniors.... giggle.

You will notice in these newer parks that they incorporate more metal/wood/natural features and far less plastic.
If you have children in daycare, you will notice this trend too. This type of playground/risk taking is part of the YMCA's national curriculum for example.
Notice the boat that is belly up. You can climb right to the top on the rounded 'bottom' and are quite high with no barriers.
This type of 'risk taking' promotes problem solving skills, instills confidence, and is fun. Learning to assess risk is an essential skill for life. All of this is good for child development.
If you visit some parks built within the past 5 years, you will start to notice they are closer in spirit to parks of the 1980s, than parks of the Late 90s / 2000s.
View attachment 345060
View attachment 345061

View attachment 345062
But can seniors go play on it, or is it for children only?

View attachment 345060
View attachment 345061

View attachment 345062
I agree! I biked past St James Park the other day and saw how tall the slide was and I almost wanted to hop off and slide!

It's been quite clear that there will be public access to the shore around the Therme pavilions, 8 acres of freely-accessible open space.
This deserves some skepticism. The promise is “publicly accessible” open space, and if Therme controls access and security, that public access could easily be eroded. If that promise even remains intact when an actual deal is signed.

Back