Screenshot_20210826-143819_Instagram.jpg

glass mockup

Last edited:
^ I had another look at the public art plan which mentions the glass blocks... "the unique façade material will be luminously backlit at night"... but assume it will be up to homeowners (and their hydro bills) to keep that promise.

Also stumbled across a render I haven't seen before looking due south across King St. (most are angled). Apologies if this pic old news.

KingTORONTO-1.jpg

toronto.ca

Hefty water bills for the condo corp.🚰
KINGToronto-plants.jpg

toronto.ca

Ingels has been pretty clear that the building is an homage to Habitat '67.

This will be way better than Habitat '67 in terms of location and connectivity. I was in Montreal recently and walked by Habitat '67. It's at least 30 minutes walk through desolate port and industrial areas and barren fields before you get to shops and restaurants. I don't even know if there are buses on that street (didn't see a single one pass by when I was walking). The Habitat '67 grounds are strictly off limits to anyone other than residents and their guests (there are signs telling you so), so I don't know if they have cafes and shops within the complex. Even if they do, there can't be more than a handful of them. Despite its revolutionary concept and architecture, it's clearly a product of its time (mid-century), when cars were king and cities and neighbourhoods were designed to prioritize them.

I'm not really buying into the vines all perfectly manicured around the windows, roofs, balconies and sliding doors. Anyone who has vines on their property knows that they have to be cut every two to three weeks in order not to obscure window views. I myself have to get up on a step ladder to trim mine on the ground floor which is no small feat at my age. Is the expectation that residences will have to dangle out many floors up periodically to provide maintenance? Overall this project looks to be a winner and I look forward to it being completed.

I suspect the vines will be maintained by the condo corp. However after seeing the quality of the mock-ups, I couldn't care less about the vines - this will look awesome regardless of how much or little greenery there is.

^ I had another look at the public art plan which mentions the glass blocks... "the unique façade material will be luminously backlit at night"... but assume it will be up to homeowners (and their hydro bills) to keep that promise.

Hefty water bills for the condo corp.🚰
View attachment 344233
toronto.ca

Some of the units feature glass block windows. My unit will have a wall of my dining room with a glass block window. So that is meant when they mention being backlit, but I doubt all of the glass block walls will be backlit especially when it is a solid wall. The photo of the mockup above shows this nicely.

As for the landscaping, there have been extensive studies on the micro-climate (light, wind, precipitation, etc.) of these planters and where they are located and oriented on the building to help decide on the ideal vegetation. The vegetation selected is unique depending on its location, soil depth, etc. There are 8 different types of vines used on the building of varying colours, foliage, flowers, etc. to create a dynamic lush appearance while ensuring it is sustainable and easier to maintain.
I already know the types of plants that will be planted on my terraces, including one of them which will have a flowering dogwood tree that I am excited to have in my backyard in the sky!

I have the PDF but it's 870MB, I often refer to my coffee table book copy of it instead.

Does anyone know where the mock-up was built? I would love to see it in person.

I have the PDF but it's 870MB, I often refer to my coffee table book copy of it instead.

Does anyone know where the mock-up was built? I would love to see it in person.

No worries, I have re-acquired a copy thanks to the generosity of a fellow forumer. Us mortals will have to live with digital only :D

AoD

Back