News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Mississauga needs to intensify across the board. I don't think the solution is to push MCC up to 100k per sqkm and leave the rest of the city a suburban wasteland.

As soon as you're going past lowrise, I don't see why you would limit to less than 12 stories. Dundas is very wide ROW, it can handle the height.
If you leave many major cities cores the heights decrease dramatically. Although Manhattan has plenty of 80+ floor buildings places like queens are densified through 6-8 floor buildings.

Queens has a much, much denser grid than suburban Toronto. Also, quite often buildings will be right to the edge of the lot line (no setbacks).
I am quite familiar with queens and would advocate for that here. The development around sheppard west and Wilson station show us that mid rise or a bit higher can create some good density.

the big problem with streets like Dundas other than their lack of density is the parking lots in front of the buildings rather than behind letting the building push right up to the street like you had mentioned. This makes Dundas very unfriendly to pedestrians. It’s already a loud street to walk on because of its width but I never take pleasure as a pedestrian navigating through parking lots to get to the building I want.

burnamthorpe and hurontario condos have the same issues with these random setbacks. Buildings in a park I guess.

I am quite familiar with queens and would advocate for that here. The development around sheppard west and Wilson station show us that mid rise or a bit higher can create some good density.

the big problem with streets like Dundas other than their lack of density is the parking lots in front of the buildings rather than behind letting the building push right up to the street like you had mentioned. This makes Dundas very unfriendly to pedestrians. It’s already a loud street to walk on because of its width but I never take pleasure as a pedestrian navigating through parking lots to get to the building I want.

burnamthorpe and hurontario condos have the same issues with these random setbacks. Buildings in a park I guess.
Frankly, the ideal thing might be to have lower speed 30 kph, narrower urban streets parallel to Dundas. As you redevelop big lots, make a more fine grain block structure, and have the more activated street scape on the side streets off Dundas and parallel.

Frankly, the ideal thing might be to have lower speed 30 kph, narrower urban streets parallel to Dundas. As you redevelop big lots, make a more fine grain block structure, and have the more activated street scape on the side streets off Dundas and parallel.
Also more gentle 'mixity' (i.e. retail on these lower-speed urban streets). That's something I've always loved about New York along with the fine-grained lot sizes and dense, narrow street grid.

Looking at the route, it makes one wonder if the BRT should not terminate at Aldershot GO, to improve connectivity.

Looking at the route, it makes one wonder if the BRT should not terminate at Aldershot GO, to improve connectivity.
As they build it out west, they need to add North-South lanes to allow for good network connectivity. The first phase to confederation parkway makes sense as it can easily connect to Cooksville GO. The second phase should get to Erin Mills Pkwy and UTM, ideally with bus lanes added to Erin Mills to connect UTM and Dundas to Clarkson GO. Phase 3 could be an extension to Trafalgar and lanes on Trafalgar connecting to Sheridan and Oakville GO. Eventually, you will get to Brant, which should also have bus lanes to Burlington GO. The problem with Aldershot, is you have to go up and then back down the escarpment through Waterdown.

Renderings of the BRT stops. https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/dundas-brt-brt-stops

1630636147553.png

1630636199336.png

Features.

1630636277094.png

I hope Metrolinx is joking with those renderings. I didnt think stops could get worse than those on the Crosstown LRT, but apparently they found a way.
These are a master class compared to the Crosstown, full weather protection and full platform canopies. Sure its no Viva but I don't think Viva should be the standard most of these projects try to aim for.

Really? It looks like there's better protection from the elements than the Line 5 shelters.

These are a master class compared to the Crosstown, full weather protection and full platform canopies. Sure its no Viva but I don't think Viva should be the standard most of these projects try to aim for.
Both of you make a good point, from a functionality perspective this design is better. Aesthetically, this is just down right bad.

Although VIVA's BRT stops are pretty much the gold standard of what to achieve IMO, I think ZUM's design is pretty much the best of both worlds.

Back