So are they planning on leaving those silos as is, save from emphasizing them with pretty lights at night? Or is this something that hasn't really been decided as of yet?

I really can't believe we are keeping an abandoned silo eyesore on our waterfront, pretty much anything else would look better.

I really can't believe we are keeping an abandoned silo eyesore on our waterfront, pretty much anything else would look better.
Correction, we're keeping two silo complexes (the other being Victory Soya Mills down by the foot of Parliament), and they'll both be among the most interesting things on the waterfront once they're revitalized.

We keep pretending they are going to be turned into something, but the reality is the silos at Bathurst Quay want nothing more than to crumble and fall down, which would be actually more interesting to watch, but they've been turned into a sort of sacred cow that has to be kept aloft at great expense, and otherwise aren't really good for anything.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with it being there. I am more curious to know what they will eventually do with it...if anything at all

Not out of ideas! Just learning from 30 years of ideas here that went nowhere in order to start getting results. The tender call for the silo rehab is actually live now:

https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/ca...3270df0156c1e986852587090048c8ed?OpenDocument

The scope includes all repairs necessary to safely remove the perimeter fence and to open up a pedestrian link at grade between the north and south silos. And in support of eventual re-use, waterproofing the foundations and reconnecting both structures to hydro now so that the plaza construction (the parallel public space project being designed by PFS Studio) needn’t be disturbed down the road. These improvements, plus an exterior illumination plan, will in the near term improve the silos as a heritage waterfront landmark with programming potential both inside and out.

Think for example of the Brickworks. Half those structures remain in a structurally stable but mostly or completely unfinished state. They simply provide an architecturally rich backdrop for a range of public uses and activities. That is precisely the near term objective being implemented right now for the malting silos, while we build momentum and patiently seek out (via a forthcoming EOI/RFP) the right partner(s) to eventually tackle the interiors and roof. But central to this strategy is that we needn’t await a viable adaptive re-use plan to start doing something special here.

Correction, we're keeping two silo complexes (the other being Victory Soya Mills down by the foot of Parliament), and they'll both be among the most interesting things on the waterfront once they're revitalized.
Totally agreed. Very interested in this group’s feedback on a naming idea for both sites.

The ‘bookend’ notion for the Canada Malting and Victory Soya silos has been around for some time, but practically speaking there are very few places where both can be seen at once. Really just the north shore of the islands, and even that sight line will be diminished after build out of Quayside.

However, giving both similar names - Perhaps Silo Square West and Silo Square East - would leverage the silos as highly visible way finding devices, and reinforce their presence at opposite ends of the inner harbour.

Totally agreed. Very interested in this group’s feedback on a naming idea for both sites.

The ‘bookend’ notion for the Canada Malting and Victory Soya silos has been around for some time, but practically speaking there are very few places where both can be seen at once. Really just the north shore of the islands, and even that sight line will be diminished after build out of Quayside.

However, giving both similar names - Perhaps Silo Square West and Silo Square East - would leverage the silos as highly visible way finding devices, and reinforce their presence at opposite ends of the inner harbour.
Plaudits on your restrained response and refusal to get into a 'war of words'. :-> I agree that there are few, if any, places where both silos can be seen but giving them similar names is not a bad idea. Though I like the simplicity of your suggestions, possibly (to retain part of their original names) Western Malting Silos and Eastern Soya Silos

Not out of ideas! Just learning from 30 years of ideas here that went nowhere in order to start getting results. The tender call for the silo rehab is actually live now:
This is fantastic, and just for the record the "out of ideas" comment was my attempt at humour over the defeatist attitudes that some people seem to have toward the silos. I'm really excited to see what gets planned for these sites, and I love the idea of tying the two together as waterfront bookends. The city is doing some great work here, and your communication has been top-notch, so kudos!

I'm not entirely sold on the notion of giving them similar names. They were named differently from a historical perspective; and as has been noted they aren't really related to each other except for similar built-form.
I think where the 'bookends' make sense might be in waterfront map/brochure, that views the particular section of Waterfront Trail between these buildings as 'Silo to Silo'.
I'm not fervently advocating it, but I see a utility there in that it's an easy way for someone to recognize that they are the central portion of the Toronto waterfront.
But otherwise, I'm inclined to let history stand and the sites retain the original names; with any adjoining squares mirrors said history.

That's all just personal preference mind you.

PS I want to join others in applauding both your work on this project and your communication of same which has been gold-standard!

Moving along, at last:

Bid Award Panel consideration on September 22, 2021
BA154.7
ACTION​
Ward: 10​
Award of Ariba Doc Number 3020893124 to Brook Restoration Ltd., for Exterior Rehabilitation of the Canada Malting Company Silos for Corporate Real Estate Management
Origin
(September 16, 2021) Report from the Chief Procurement Officer​
Recommendations
The Chief Procurement Officer recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Solicitation Number:
Request for Tender, Ariba Doc Number 3020893124.

Description:
Exterior rehabilitation of the Canada Malting Company South Silos at 5 Eireann Quay, Toronto, Ontario.

Recommended Supplier:
Brook Restoration Ltd.

Contract Award Value:
$2,463,500 net of all applicable taxes and charges
$2,783,755 including HST and all applicable charges
$2,506,858 net of HST recoveries

Contract is expected to start on date of award and end on December 31, 2023.​

Moving along, at last:

Bid Award Panel consideration on September 22, 2021
BA154.7
ACTION​
Ward: 10​
Award of Ariba Doc Number 3020893124 to Brook Restoration Ltd., for Exterior Rehabilitation of the Canada Malting Company Silos for Corporate Real Estate Management
Origin
(September 16, 2021) Report from the Chief Procurement Officer​
Recommendations
The Chief Procurement Officer recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Solicitation Number:
Request for Tender, Ariba Doc Number 3020893124.

Description:
Exterior rehabilitation of the Canada Malting Company South Silos at 5 Eireann Quay, Toronto, Ontario.

Recommended Supplier:
Brook Restoration Ltd.

Contract Award Value:
$2,463,500 net of all applicable taxes and charges
$2,783,755 including HST and all applicable charges
$2,506,858 net of HST recoveries

Contract is expected to start on date of award and end on December 31, 2023.​
Wow, you guys really don’t miss anything. That award panel report only went live this morning.

Hoping for an early October mobilization for both the silo rehab project, and the Corleck building by Canada Ireland Foundation. And we’re presenting revised landscape concept plans to our Stakeholder Advisory Committee next week, shortly after which materials will be available on-line.

Finally, we’re working out logistics for a mock up of the up-lighting scheme for the malting silos, which is being designed by Ombrages (our lighting design sub to PFS Studio). Happy to post those details here should anyone wish to go down and see the test on site in person. Testing position, colour, luminosity, etc.

Finally, we’re working out logistics for a mock up of the up-lighting scheme for the malting silos, which is being designed by Ombrages (our lighting design sub to PFS Studio). Happy to post those details here should anyone wish to go down and see the test on site in person. Testing position, colour, luminosity, etc.

Please do!

And my ongoing thanks for your great communication on this project!

Back