I can flip it and ask you why do you keep coming back if you hate all the posts?

we all have the free will to ignore things we do not like. Anyways, I come here hoping there has been some kind of improvement or new pictures of other less spandrelly elevations (just like the post above this one).
Because we care about the quality of the buildings being built here.

Wow, is that ever a powerful echo chamber. If this is so universally reviled, why do people keep shooting it? Why do you keep coming to the thread to look at it?

Yeah, sure, it sucks, but there's been almost a month's worth of posts about the same damn thing. Why do this to yourselves?
In hopes that someone with power or influence will get the message to do better next time. This project deserves every single shot fired.

I don't really even see what the big deal is. That side of the building is hardly visible and no one will ever take much notice to it. The actual towers that will start rising here soon are far more interesting/aesthetically pleasing and I'm sure they will look great when completed.

As for the actual frontage itself, there's far worse things in the city that are unfortunately far more prominent.

I don't really even see what the big deal is. That side of the building is hardly visible and no one will ever take much notice to it. The actual towers that will start rising here soon are far more interesting/aesthetically pleasing and I'm sure they will look great when completed.

As for the actual frontage itself, there's far worse things in the city that are unfortunately far more prominent.
Ok now we're just putting the dead horse on a carousel

I dropped in a week ago to make the point about historic materiality in the context of 85 Richmond, but other than that, I've left this one alone. Came in today and was a little surprised to see the dead horse carcass on the proverbial forum floor.
Welp, there a few thoughts on this...

1) The elephant in the room: If this is something like Time & Space this quality is almost expected - granted that doesn't stop folks from complaining. However, as others and myself have pointed out this is supposed to be an prestigious project, designed by an elite firm with some serious noteworthy backers behind it...yet it's using the same window materials that covers 365 Church and "Design" Haus, What!? And regardless where this is being used.

2) Furthermore, this conversation followed further pictorials of this appalling choice of window wall. Of course, more readers are going to complain.

3) Then there is this disclaimer at the beginning of this discourse...

At the risk of beating a dead horse...
...I think we're aware this is beaten to death, but that's not going to stop us from commenting about it. Sorry.

4) And finally, I don't think this horse is dead yet. As it seems a live and prancing around still dealing out well placed kicks as this project progresses, IMO. /sigh

Last edited by a moderator:

No one will ever take much notice to it? There are hundreds of people occupying the units across the alley with a full view of this choice. In addition to the density of the area that will generate pedestrian volumes, you can be sure that crowds of people will see this on the regular when walking along Blue Jays Way on the way to / from the Rogers Centre.

So, yes, it is a big deal (in the context of minimum standards of quality) and it could've been mitigated with a little effort and care. End Rant /

Those who care will notice this...and that will always be problematic for the PR.

B22998B5-CEB0-43CE-9F0C-534DF309D8A8.jpeg

Because we care about the quality of the buildings being built here.
I think the fundamental reason why Toronto is getting all these spandrel-laced monstrosities built with little hesitation is a lack of civic pride at every level of our culture. I've noticed over the years that there's very little respect for "place" that one finds in other parts of the world, perhaps due to this city's (and Canada's, in general) relative newness and lack of cultural-historical acumen. It almost feels as if our eternal inclination to embrace the mediocre stems from a nagging self-perception as a "secondary" entity with only a marginal stature on the world stage, at best.

I'm fairly confident that the finished quality of the towers themselves will more than make up for the spandrel alleyway exterior.

I'm fairly confident that the finished quality of the towers themselves will more than make up for the spandrel alleyway exterior.
Let's hope so. This is supposed to be a prestigious project and to see the builders taking shortcuts where things are "hidden" from view is a massive letdown to those who care about the quality of Toronto's built form.

Back