That one pane of reflective glass is bothering me. It doesn't match the rest of the wall!

Is there a functional reason why such a mirror-like glass is being used or just aesthetic reasons?

They must have finished the rebar threading. I saw them loading up the excess rebar just moments ago.
rebar.jpg

It's a vanity project, but a beautiful one. I just hope it lives up to its promise of quality and doesn't bankrupt him before it tops out.

I don't think he'd be building it if it weren't profitable. He's replacing 3-storey buildings with 94 storeys of expensive condos. The units have been sold and Mizrahi got funding.

I suspect a myth of unprofitability may be advanced by mediocre builders who assume you can't be profitable unless you value engineer every design detail to the point of delivering architectural garbage.

I suspect a myth of unprofitability may be advanced by mediocre builders who assume you can't be profitable unless you value engineer every design detail to the point of delivering architectural garbage.
I suspect you're not an estimator?

The margins for most players in the sector are way tighter than a layman might realize. It's not impossible to make money on an attractive building, but you need to have either deep pockets or a certain appetite for risk. And it's not entirely the fault of developers; a lot of it falls on purchasers. The average investor might glance at the renderings, but they really don't care if the building is clad in precast or masonry or windowwall or curved curtainwall. Investors are more driven by Miele appliances and granite countertops. So if you're the developer do you pay for the upgraded cladding, knowing you can't recoup the cost by charging a premium for it, or do you pay for the Toto toilets where you can pocket an extra $1000 per washroom on the upgrade?

Not directing at you personally, but sometimes it feels like there's a lot of unserious criticism of developers on these forums. They're honestly not a bunch of mustachioed villains cackling with glee at the grey spandrel they're raining down upon the fair citizens of Toronto. It's just a spreadsheet at the end of the day.

So, Sam Mizrahi has just hired a new lobbyist/consultant for the purpose of getting the requested height increase here.

From the Lobbyist Registry:

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32374​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

1-11 Bloor Street West and 768-784 Yonge Street - Zoning By-law Amendment request for increased height.

Nice!!

do we know if the next floor will be similarly slow? Or is it only this level with the nuclear-bunker level of concrete?

I'm no expert and don't pretend to have any inside knowledge, but so far since I started following these projects, it seems once they get past the first few floors, the pace definitely picks up. Look at 160 Front. It was moving at a turtles paces, and now that thing is flying up.

Maybe Anthonylipson can shed some light on this.

Last edited:

Back