News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Everybody I talk to is trying to decide whether to vote strategically for Gondek or vote for another candidate of their wishing, in particular Damery.

To be honest, I think having to listen to Farkas' supporters after a Farkas win would be worse than Farkas himself being mayor. Ultimately, he's one vote on council, but having to listen to the Farkas supporters (and I know at least a few of them) pat themselves on the back with joy would be difficult.

Lately I've been leaning toward voting for Damery, even though the numbers don't look great. At the end of the day, I think she's the best candidate.

The race is pretty fluid at this point, and there hasn't been a poll since before the federal election, and the last poll was in the field during the 'quasi lockdown' announcement.

I think there will be one or two out before Friday.

I'm debating voting early or waiting until voting day. I wonder if there's a small possibility someone may drop out before and I'd hate to have voted for someone who ends up not even running.

Jyoti Gondek AMA on Reddit:

Top priorities:
Declare a climate emergency and start accessing capital to fund sustainable solutions in a transitioning economy (like the Carbon Removal Accelerator just started by Avatar). Tap into as much public transit funding as possible from the federal government. Build the executive committee of Council to fully leverage the strength of multiple elected officials.

Top concern:
We need a strong labour force that has access to supports and services (like child care, mental health, etc) so they can drive the economy.

Childcare:
I brought a motion that was supported unanimously directing that we: 1) create more land use districts that permit child care, and 2) seek direct federal funding for safe and affordable child care in Calgary. If the province is leaving money on the table, let's get it ourselves.

Transit:
We need to look at where the demand is highest and start redeploying transit. [...] I managed to get the Route Ahead plan changed to reflect what investments we are making throughout the city for transit. We focused on a single project for too long. Now we have concurrent plans for the types of routes you mentioned. [...] We just changed the master transit strategy to include all areas of the city and all modes, by using a Gantt-style priority chart that shows how investments will be disbursed. Also need to have proper/safe infrastructure for ped & wheels that aren't motor vehicles.

Affordable housing, downtown:
We need to offer options across the housing continuum, both market and non-market. On the subsidized side, we need to create more units and also have the funding follow the client. On the market side, we need smaller units and encourage more rental, coop, multigenerational types of alternatives. [...] There are some pretty clear points on actions that need to be taken. Like creating a mobile crisis response team to ensure people can stay housed when in positions of vulnerability. Focusing on the next round of incentive funding for conversions of vacant downtown spaces is key for revitalization. I've taken the time to work with impacted stakeholders to ensure we come up with strong solutions.

Arts/culture:
Keep up the increased investments we have made to place Calgary in a competitive position with other cities. Bring creative exhibits/performances to all communities. Fund the municipal festivals & events strategy to keep artists performing. Focus on using the Change Can't Wait mental health funding for arts programming that supports people's wellbeing.

I don't understand how people talk about Jan Damery like she's the love child of Bernie Sanders and Jane Jacobs, and is some sort of "progressive alternative" to Gondek. Their platforms and outlooks seem to have a lot of overlap to me tbh, and the winner on experience and knowledge is pretty clear.

global.jpg

There's now been two polls in a row that show Damery in low single digits. She's toast. It's Gondek or Farkas.

View attachment 353829

There's now been two polls in a row that show Damery in low single digits. She's toast. It's Gondek or Farkas.
I hate to say it, but it sure looks that way. This close to the race, with that large of a gap seems to look like this is indeed a two person race. Thankfully Farkas is now in second place, and I doubt he's going to get much of that 29% undecided vote.

Back