Given that this is on the south side of Railroad Street, there is no need to protect the right-of-way for CN. Though part of the property directly abuts the north-south OBRY tracks.

You might be thinking of the Hewetson Shoe Factory on the north side, which was renovated a few years ago for commerical/light industrial use. There's lot of room there and there was a east-to-north connecting track that could easily be restored.

Wrong side of the tracks opps.

Either way, there needs to be land protected on both sides to allow more tracks. Putting back in the old connection leaves next to no room for a 3rd track to the north.

Here's a bird's eye view.

There's definitely room for a third track. A connecting track might be tricky, but a bit of the Hewetson property (but not the building itself) might have to be expropriated.

I'm not convinced of the short-to-medium term potential of the Orangeville-Brampton line, especially north of King Street/Brampton Airport, given the slow speeds of this very scenic track. There should be some protection for sure, but I'm sure there's room. Brampton has attempted to protect a 4-track width for that corridor where possible.

A better long-term solution would be the 407 freight by-pass, getting rid of the freights through Downtown Brampton.

Noticed on the hobby store door saying it will close June 21.

They have no plans at this time to setup another store, but will operate from their website.

Noticed an ad in a Toronto paper today (not sure which one)......playing up on the proximity to the GO station (saying it is so close you can sleep in!).

New web page address www.bladeliving.com but nothing new on it.

I think Downtown Brampton is an ideal place for lots of condo development once the GO service is beefed up.

Prices will always be a bit lower, 35 - 40 minutes from Union and with the various other things going on in the downtown area (Rose Theatre, Gage Park....the city is issuing an RFP for an expansion to City Hall which is supposed to include a flexible zoning for things like a hotel, retail, etc on the southwest corner of main and queen) it could develop into a pretty fun place to live and still be an easy commute to downtown.

With all the work going on at the train station just now, it is probably easier to sell people on the idea that there will, one day, be full service.

The website ( http://www.bladecondos.com/welcome.html ) does have a nice looking rendering that shows not only the front of the Dominion Skate building (the offices) intact, it also preserves the factory wall along Mill Street.

Hopefully the final product will not suffer too much from "The Cheapeningâ„¢" - it looks good, at least for the 905.

It looks they're preparing for construction already.

3991018539_54170bc799.jpg

Mill St wall - windows boarded up.

3991774610_6028a4cca2.jpg

The back of the building which will be sacrificed:

3991775980_be6972ca92.jpg

â„¢Interchange42

Renderings

The website ( http://www.bladecondos.com/welcome.html ) does have a nice looking rendering that shows not only the front of the Dominion Skate building (the offices) intact, it also preserves the factory wall along Mill Street.

Thanks ShonTron ~ I noticed that Preston Homes has also included a small rendering of this project for the first time in their recent Ad on the Condo Guide

From the above website:
rendering.jpg

noted going by yesterday that the windows are all covered now, with the exception of the main floor of the front offices (where the train shop was last), where ramps and new stairways are built to house a sales office, so the project looks very much alive. This is a really positive thing for oft-neglected DT Brampton. The project has a lot of potential.

Full page ad for this condo in the current issue of Condo Guide.

I'm happy to see a highrise project in the suburbs that incorporates a local heritage structure in such a respectful way. Nice to see downtown Brampton densifying - 30 storey plus buildings can't be far off.

It's actually a 2 page ad.
I personally think the tower is hideous! Something so much cooler could have been done here. Instead typical and boring is what we get. Thankfully it's just Brampton!

I'm not liking the 'shaft' (middle part of the tower) ... but I do admire the design which incorporates the new atop a historic structure which is used as a podium, and I find that elliptical rooftop architectural element very interesting (the same reason I like WideSuites in Mississauga)

downtown Brampton will not go down the road of MCC..

So I doubt you will see epic huge buildings.

However you will continue to see 20-30 story buildings filling up empty lots and parking lots. In about 10 years you will something half decent here.

I'm not liking the 'shaft' (middle part of the tower) ... but I do admire the design which incorporates the new atop a historic structure which is used as a podium, and I find that elliptical rooftop architectural element very interesting (the same reason I like WideSuites in Mississauga)

Yeah, the 'shaft" is par for the course for middle-of-the-road condos, particularly outside the downtown market, but the podium component and the roof top are great. Kudos to the developer and the city for demanding more than a facadectomy or a token response, this really respects the heritage component with a deep setback from the original structure footprint from the Railroad and Mill sides.

I have to admit that every time I read this thread title, I think of the movie "Blade Runner". If only this project looked like the buildings in that movie!

Blade_Runner.jpg

By the way, the new Red Dwarf movie "Back to Earth" is a total homage to Blade Runner, with the Red Dwarf crew (Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryten) in the role of the replicants. Time to Die.

Last edited:
Found a site and landscape plans from the site.

also:
Architects - AREA and SG&M Architects in Joint Venture
Interior Design - Flora Di Menna
Landscape Architects - Strybos Barron King Ltd.

Attachments

• SitPlan.jpg
    SitPlan.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 521
  • landscaping.jpg
    landscaping.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 539
  • icerink.jpg
    icerink.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 545

Back