I wonder how many people actually visit these restaurants?

Restaurants are becoming the pot shops of Union Station. There are so many of them in such close proximity I am not sure how they survive.

Easily, if they are any good.

This area is already densely populated by both residents and workers.

By the time this place opens most people will be back at the office.

Pinnacle will be moving in residents in the not so distant future, thousands of them, it's 2 blocks away.
There's another huge office tower going in, directly across the street.

It's not hard to imagine how retail will be supported here.

Current traffic is too low, but that's the Covid effect, which will dissipate in the months ahead.

Last edited:
I (normally) work in the area, and pre-pandemic went to Wvrst and Amano fairly regularly, and Union Chicken once in a while.

^was i the only one who ate at the CIBC UPstairs Lounge above the Up Express platform? Apparently so because they permanently closed. The place really could have used better views of the tracks and platforms. Would have been a great train spotting location to eat at.

^was i the only one who ate at the CIBC UPstairs Lounge above the Up Express platform? Apparently so because they permanently closed. The place really could have used better views of the tracks and platforms. Would have been a great train spotting location to eat at.
I went there once and was none too impressed. The food was just about acceptable, the views were, as you say, second rate and the location was quite out of the way.

I went there once and was none too impressed. The food was just about acceptable, the views were, as you say, second rate and the location was quite out of the way.
Not just that but I could tell the staff were annoyed that I dared to order food with my drink. No wonder they went under.

A few years ago when I was in London, I went to Wetherspoons in Paddington Train Station. It was a full restaurant overlooking the trains and was actually very good.

Shame we cannot have such things here.

898137E3-27B8-477A-9891-3DCD148DD0F2.jpeg
01810179-F6C5-4E5F-8C62-76006B1A9EC1.jpeg

Enjoying a nice walk by Union. Truly a transformation.

A streetscape without overhead wires really lets the buildings take centre stage. But a centrepiece project like this one without ornamental street lights or a solution to the Jersey barrier blight issue (in a reasonable amount of time) shows that we're still not where we should be in terms of public realm design and maintenance.

These poor poor trees. Perhaps they can replant them with Silva Cells when they finally install security bollards along Front... so get used to Charlie Brown Christmas trees
Were those inside the barricades for the NHL Bubble last May and June? I wonder if those tall fences with tarps over them (to prevent all us filthy COVID carrying masses from even looking at an NHL player) blocked all of the light and much of any rain water and wiped them out.

I have no idea when the official announcements will come down on retail.....well, ok that's not entirely true.......LOL

But I will let one slip that will surprise no one (unless it changes, it which case it will surprise me! LOL) .............the LCBO is returning to Union.

I don't think it will be particularly large, but not sure, haven't see the placement/layout.

I have no idea when the official announcements will come down on retail.....well, ok that's not entirely true.......LOL

But I will let one slip that will surprise no one (unless it changes, it which case it will surprise me! LOL) .............the LCBO is returning to Union.

I don't think it will be particularly large, but not sure, haven't see the placement/layout.

It can't be any smaller than the last one.

Back