And we are talking about a company that has had a billion+ net income for the last five years.
They don't need our subsidies.
At all.
If they want to rebuild the stadium on the current site - OK fine. I disagree with that, as I think it is a waste of resources.
But they aren't entitled to any profits from redevelopment of the existing land.

I am not a hard 'no' - I think the site calls for a bit of flexibility - and unlocking it for additional uses complementing an underutilized and aging asset isn't a bad thing (it's even potentially good planning). But the underlying principle has to be - what's there, in terms of monetary and community benefits for the public? It's impossible to judge without seeing the plans, and there should be no carte blanche.

AoD

Here's a photo of the Rogers Centre and the CN Tower taken last Friday at 7 PM:

164qfglz0io71.jpg

Source:

Edit: Corrected date

Last edited:
It's not as profitable as a condo but Rogers could definitely incorporate some amount of restaurants, retail etc. Which they could draw revenue from, and it would still reasonably qualify as a stadium amenity.

I know when Mark Shapiro was talking about it, he said that he was actually pushed out of the group that was spit balling ideas because the whole idea became much bigger in scale then just some reno's. So if the president of club isn't even involved anymore, obviously there's the meat on the bone, My guess is you're on the right track with ideas they're bouncing around.

The only way I'm willing for my taxes to further help Rogers build a new stadium is by agreeing to build the Bremner line from SkyDome to Exhibition Loop and for 50% of the cost to tunnel from SkyDome to Union. They can pay for and build a new station underneath it for patrons to arrive and depart. Otherwise the discount on the existing land lease seems quite a generous subsidy already.

When is the earliest they would demolish the current Rogers Centre and construction would finish? Probably 2030 for demo job and 2035 for construction finish? Also city is pretty cash trapped so doubt they will have a lot of $ on hand? Plus a lot of public outcry. I guess Rogers will have to get this deal done before John Tory is done as mayor since he and his dad were former Rogers Board Members theres an inside connection

The fact that they keep spending somewhat sizable chunks of money to renovate things make's me think it will still be a while.

The fact that they keep spending somewhat sizable chunks of money to renovate things make's me think it will still be a while.

Unfortunately I have to agree. When the report first game out they said realistically it's about 5-7 years away.

Shapiro said on Sportsnet two days ago that either a new park or massive renovation is going to have to happen soon, but that work was put on hold at the start of Covid. Now that things may be approaching normalcy I would guess we'll start hearing new details fairly soon, although I wonder if the current shakeup involving Edward Rogers will affect any of this. Hopefully not!

Shapiro said on Sportsnet two days ago that either a new park or massive renovation is going to have to happen soon, but that work was put on hold at the start of Covid. Now that things may be approaching normalcy I would guess we'll start hearing new details fairly soon, although I wonder if the current shakeup involving Edward Rogers will affect any of this. Hopefully not!
Not to sound smarter than Rogers but it sure seemed that most big companies found Covid the perfect time to renovate. Now somehow they will have to renovate around a baseball seasons schedule. Good work.

Not to sound smarter than Rogers but it sure seemed that most big companies found Covid the perfect time to renovate. Now somehow they will have to renovate around a baseball seasons schedule. Good work.

yeah there was no way they could have done that. Way too many moving parts during COVID for them to do a serious reno.

yeah there was no way they could have done that. Way too many moving parts during COVID for them to do a serious reno.

No, he said the exact opposite. He clearly said that most companies used COVID as the 'perfect time to renovate'. And that was my observation too. Companies the world over took the pandemic as an opportunity to do major renovations yet Rogers failed to take advantage of this once in a blue moon window.

Last edited:

Back