Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New application in the AIC, this is for the Canadian Tire site located mid-way between Main Street and Dawes Road.

1636355153434.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=gipubukCtrmqbGj1uvSbVA==

Streetview:

1636355227514.png

Aerial Pic:

1636355418232.png

Site size: ~1.7ha/4.25ac

The irregular shape is somewhat interesting, not something I was cognizant of, as one can see that means a portion of the parking lot is on additional address that appears to be tied to the Main Square lands.

The proposal here is a large one, yet seemingly, perhaps, at first blush, fewer towers than one might expect. But my understanding is this site will serve to provide the public park which supports all of the proposed development from Main to Dawes, south of Danforth. In addition, at least two public streets will be 50% contained within this site, one along the western edge an one at the southern extent of this site

Last edited:
So........I'm not one for spending much time deriding so-called 'NIMBYs'.

I tend to think a certain amount of self-interest, and legitimate concerns are both reasonable to expect; even when they conflict with City-building goals; and may need to be over--ruled in the public interest.

But I must confess, I find the hyperventilating, apocalyptic views of some..........very hard to take.

From the area FB group:

1636646616888.png

There are some legitimate concerns in there............but 'neighbourhood destruction'.? Really?

There are lots of parts of the city where I'm weary of overdevelopment, but here? On a subway and GO line? On a site and stretch of Danforth that's an urban design nightmare with no heritage value? These are exactly the sorts of sites that should be redeveloped.

Now I am curious to see some plans, as it sounds like two point towers on a podium. For such a large sprawling site more of a mixture of building scales might be nice; some midrise, maybe one tower? Unless of course it's because a lot of land will be devoted to parkland as @Northern Light mentioned.

There are lots of parts of the city where I'm weary of overdevelopment, but here? On a subway and GO line? On a site and stretch of Danforth that's an urban design nightmare with no heritage value? These are exactly the sorts of sites that should be redeveloped.

Now I am curious to see some plans, as it sounds like two point towers on a podium. For such a large sprawling site more of a mixture of building scales might be nice; some midrise, maybe one tower? Unless of course it's because a lot of land will be devoted to parkland as @Northern Light mentioned.
And roads as well, there will be a road along the southern edge of this site and 50% of the ROW will come out of the CT site's land. Same on the western side where the driveway is now, that will be a public road. At least, those are the plans in the Main St. Planning Study, we will have to see what the applicant has in mind.

Here's the image from the Study:

255354388_10166183779105355_7670508241535868936_n.jpg

You can see, in the upper image, You have the Red line for the new public roads, and the green square is a the park.

Back