Re-imagining the Booth lands would be a real boon for that stretch of Eastern. As it is, I can feel a lot of changes already coming to east-central Toronto, it's very exciting.

Developing the BOOTH Lands will follow-on after the WaterfrontTO development of the Portlands... so that means 2035+ before we expect anything to start there.

Re-imagining the Booth lands would be a real boon for that stretch of Eastern. As it is, I can feel a lot of changes already coming to east-central Toronto, it's very exciting.

While it would be wonderful to see the heritage component at Booth restored (whole), and given a new more public-facing life.............

1635261991528.png

from: https://cms.driftscape.com/feature/49ee1b5c-c66e-11e8-8000-a4480fe5cbe4

Relocating the functions of Booth is no small matter.

A simplistic description is here:

1635261723934.png

That's actually from here: https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.c....18_DRAFT_OPA_411.Public_Draft.pdf?1526676498

But, to put a bit more to it, that's the operations centre for south district forestry ops.; you can read what a few of the others are here:

1635262185871.png

Taken from:

Relocating the functions of Booth is no small matter.

A simplistic description is here:

View attachment 358381

That's actually from here: https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.c....18_DRAFT_OPA_411.Public_Draft.pdf?1526676498
Yeah, that is why it is back-ended late into the 2030's... a bunch of those city divisions will need to move onto less-valuable lands in the Portlands and up to the Industrial Lands near Bermondsy before BOOTH can be re-purposed.

Similar to what is now happening with the HOUSING NOW lands in North York at ORIOLE work yards.

Those old buildings are lovely and bring a ton of historical character to Eastern Avenue. I feel confident they will be retained and gussied up for whatever's in store, however many years away.... as for Bermondsey, things are changing there too, more residential coming to replace the dated light industrial vibe that's defined that area for decades now.... it would be interesting to see how they''ll accommodate what presently goes on at Booth to relocated facilities up around Bermondsey or the Portlands - as for the latter, it's a huge area but in a couple of decades it's going to be vastly different and a helluvalot more manicured, despite the retained presence of cement plants and other heavy industrial usages.

Wow so 140 seperate requests for Employment land conversion? Where do Toronto developers expect people to work, over in Mars?

indeed fair criticisms and points to improve the project.

The vast, vast majority of employment growth in Toronto in the last decade has been in mixed use areas.

Most employment conversion requests are piddly little stranded parcels in odd areas that are too small or odd-shaped to support modern demands of employers who need employment areas for their businesses. There are of course many conversion requests that don't fit that mold.. but they will likely be denied.

Wow so 140 seperate requests for Employment land conversion? Where do Toronto developers expect people to work, over in Mars?
I really don't expect the "Giant Soap Factory" business to return. "Employment land conversion" is kind of a red-herring when so much of that land it is now being used for Self-Storage Places and Trampoline Gyms, etc.

It is crazy the the Feds had to take the City to the OMB to be able to Redevelop the "Employment Lands" at Downsview for example.

From the report - "The Province is targeting early 2022 to provide zoning certainty for this TOC development."

MZO time.

This is precisely what the City is anticipating, that is mentioned elsewhere in the report.

From the report - "The Province is targeting early 2022 to provide zoning certainty for this TOC development."

MZO time.
Since this is the future site of an Ontario Line and GO RER station, an MZO would be appropriate.

Glad to see that any future plan will include mixed uses. An "employment zone" in this part of the city, abandoned at night, at this scale would be a scary place. Also.... we're in the middle of a housing crisis with an excess of office space proposed for the core. Some room for homes can be made here.

I really don't expect the "Giant Soap Factory" business to return. "Employment land conversion" is kind of a red-herring when so much of that land it is now being used for Self-Storage Places and Trampoline Gyms, etc.
Which in and of itself is another problem frankly. To me, if the city is going to convert employment land at any site, they've got to obtain much more benefits in return for that (way beyond the typical Section 37 stuff). It's prime land that once converted, they can never get back and is lost forever.

Back