A few weeks ago an electrical generator appeared on The Esplanade at the rear of the L-Tower. I finally investigated it and see it is there because Toronto Buildings have declared the building 'unsafe' due to lack of life-support system. (They have put an explanation on the fencing.) I assume their own emergency generator is out of order. Damaged when they had their roof-crane accident or ?? Must say that L-Tower (in addition to the unfortunate changes in the design) has had its share of set-backs.

A few weeks ago an electrical generator appeared on The Esplanade at the rear of the L-Tower. I finally investigated it and see it is there because Toronto Buildings have declared the building 'unsafe' due to lack of life-support system. (They have put an explanation on the fencing.) I assume their own emergency generator is out of order. Damaged when they had their roof-crane accident or ?? Must say that L-Tower (in addition to the unfortunate changes in the design) has had its share of set-backs.
...almost on a Keystone Kop level, I'll add. /sigh

I noticed today that the emergency generator is STILL parked on The Esplanade. The Condo Corporation (or their insurers) are paying a LOT of $$ for this.-

The emergency generator is STILL there, blocking the right-turn lane and causing even more traffic problems

Esplanade generator.JPG

Did you get the correct speed dial? Live action or no action.

928A9DEB-8CC8-4432-BC31-3FF746BB82FD.jpeg

62B89C80-C3C3-4A0C-9B35-1B937077FA03.jpeg

While we are here; Ltower/Meridian Centre - not Backstage.
Some new grass landscaping beside the 3D patio stone area - Dream Ballet. Artist: Valentine, Harley

Hey wait, it was all new grass two weeks ago! It went from no dogs allowed in the planters over the years, to dogs are welcome on the grass last week, to let’s tease the dogs with grass they can’t get to. It looks a lot better than the last two years!

D0A72CBE-4B85-4A65-B260-080B39412E75.jpeg

DA318998-2B86-4D1F-9D18-177A0420CA63.jpeg

Done - even before noting it here ( I have them on speed dial!), I sent them the photo too.
At the weekend I wrote and asked Mayor's Office if the emergency generator had a street occupancy permit and how blocking a lane on a busy street meshed with the City's policy of 'keep traffic moving'.. This finally got some response from 311 and Transportation:

We just received notice from Right of Way Management this location does not appear to have a permit issued to use the city street. They are sending an officer this week to investigate.

So, the lesson is clearly that if you want to block a lane on a busy street you just go right ahead, surround the obstruction with a fence and nothing will happen. Nobody like a parking officer will make any enquiries, Sheesh! It has been there since late October or early November!

Last edited:
At he weekend I wrote and asked Mayor's Office if the emergency generator had a street occupancy permit and how blocking a lane on a busy street meshed with the City's policy of 'keep traffic moving'.. This finally got some response from 311 and Transportation:

We just received notice from Right of Way Management this location does not appear to have a permit issued to use the city street. They are sending an officer this week to investigate.

So, the lesson is clearly that if you want to block a lane on a busy street you just go right ahead, surround the obstruction with a fence and nothing will happen. Nobody like a parking officer will make any enquiries, Sheesh!
Good work! Thanks!!!

Ironically, the generator was running this morning which I assume was for a regular test. Continuing the irony, there were three Toronto Hydro trucks on the street too. So I asked one worker if they were there for the generator. Replied; “What generator? No! “

Maybe I didn’t ask the right question or maybe he didn’t hear me over the noise of the generator. 😀
I’m still not sure if the generator is related to the Building Maintenance Unit counter weight failure and possible damage to the emergency power system or if this generator was somehow related to the previous Toronto Hydro work on replacing all the building transformers and/or switchgear in the area over the last couple of years? My guess was the BMU had some play in this but with T.H. in the area I’m not so sure now.
BD0D7ACF-8154-4E05-ADD9-585B3A38D373.jpeg

Good work! Thanks!!!

Ironically, the generator was running this morning which I assume was for a regular test. Continuing the irony, there were three Toronto Hydro trucks on the street too. So I asked one worker if they were there for the generator. Replied; “What generator? No! “

Maybe I didn’t ask the right question or maybe he didn’t hear me over the noise of the generator. 😀
I’m still not sure if the generator is related to the Building Maintenance Unit counter weight failure and possible damage to the emergency power system or if this generator was somehow related to the previous Toronto Hydro work on replacing all the building transformers and/or switchgear in the area over the last couple of years? My guess was the BMU had some play in this but with T.H. in the area I’m not so sure now.
View attachment 417639
I am 99% sure it had to be rented by the Condo Corp as their own EG was damaged when the MAU fell. There are wires going from it into building. Nothing to do with Toronto Hydro.

...with all the screw-ups with this building and its management, they should rebrand it as the Lol-tower. /sigh

I am 99% sure it had to be rented by the Condo Corp as their own EG was damaged when the MAU fell. There are wires going from it into building. Nothing to do with Toronto Hydro.

Wonder how much it's costing the condo corporation to rent it?

Back