News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

While we're at it..........we have some details on the improvements to The Queensway.......*smile*

1638383825858.png

1638383846951.png

1638383888995.png

1638383923173.png

1638383963278.png

1638383991289.png

1638384017863.png

1638384051750.png

1638384093316.png

1638384127252.png

1638384160206.png

1638384207183.png

To be con't:

Love it! Glad to see car lanes being narrowed.

Combined with all the new development along Queensway, these improvements should make the area feel and function in a much more urban manner.

One quibble: why can't planters be adjacent to the road instead of bike lanes?

Fill out the survey!

I suggested removing the median where there is no buffer between the cycle tracks and the road, in favour of a buffer for the cycle track (s).

Where the median is narrow, I suggested buffering the north side only, as this would provide more weather shelter than on the south side; but where the median was wider, do both.

I otherwise expressed maximum support.

I give it a "like".

To get a "love", they should have included provision for a streetcar right-of-way so the 501 QUEEN could later reach Sherway Gardens. OR, a light rail right-of-way for the Lakeshore West LRT from the enlarged Union Station Loop to Sherway Gardens.

I give it a "like".

To get a "love", they should have included provision for a streetcar right-of-way so the 501 QUEEN could later reach Sherway Gardens. OR, a light rail right-of-way for the Lakeshore West LRT from the enlarged Union Station Loop to Sherway Gardens.
If they narrow the traffic lanes to meet the actual speed limit (50km/h) instead of designing wide traffic lanes for the "safety" of speeders doing 100+km/h, they would be able to widen the bicycle lanes along with segregated barriers and berms for the snow windrows.

Looks great. Not a fan of retaining the right turn slip lane at Park Lawn, nor am I still not a fan of reducing the lanes on Park Lawn.. but that's another issue entirely.

I like that these projects are happening, but the landscaping and materials could be much better. At the same time, the roadway is still car-oriented. For example, there is a dedicated highway-style right turn on the Park Lawn intersection and there are pedestrian islands. This doesn't create a friendly environment for those that aren't drivers.

The Queensway reconstruction still finds itself within the obvious realm of keeping the street a driver-oriented street while still fulfilling the goals of complete streets (raised cycle tracks, widened sidewalks, protected intersections, medians, narrowed lanes, greenery etc.) That's a good thing IMO. Experience same for drivers, and other road users get a much safer travel. We'll get what we can get!

Sooooo close!

Medians, properly separated cycle tracks, even protected intersections! This is amazing.

Only a few more small details to fix:
- 2.1m sidewalks should be reduced to 1.8m (minimum AODA requirement) in favour of 2.0m cycle tracks
- There's sometimes a weird buffer between the sidewalk and cycle track which is unnecessary and should be eliminated in favour of wider cycle tracks and/or wider buffer between the cycle track and road
- As others have mentioned, narrowing the median slightly to increase buffer for the cycle tracks
- Swapping the new cycle track and trees, so that the trees are between the cycle track and roadway instead of between the cycle track and sidewalk
- Removing the curb where the cycle tracks intersect driveways or other roads. The cycle track should be continuous, not the curb, so cyclists have a smoother surface
- Coloured asphalt! Makes everything so much better!
- Eliminate the on-street parking and put trees. It's like <10 spaces, and there's parking off-street and on side streets.

*right off the bat, this post is NOT news*

But as many of you here know, I quite like, and respect the City's current cycling manager, Becky Katz.

She's on vacation this week, but before heading out the door, posted an inventory of how her pre-vacation week was spent work wise.

I thought some of you might find it interesting.

1638812095024.png

Back