But do you reckon that they would be able to build a GO Train station there? I don't think any deviations from current lines could be undertaken or room for a new line could be made... Or could I be wrong on this? It would have been great if there was already a rapid transit connection between Mississauga City Centre and downtown Toronto in place before lots of the current development was built.

It's possible to create a spur line from erin mills to square one and make it underground so that milton and some mississauga commuters can directly use go train to get to MCC

Doing the right thing, in this case was being more urban friendly. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t other issues that deserved attention… racism, sexism, etc. I didn’t think I’d have to specify that on a urban forum.
I was poking fun at the "look at me, I support sidewalks/other pet issue, love me!" We need less of that kind of urbanist activism and just because suburban Sauga doesn't always support that doesn't make them bad people. In fact branding them as this and that or not doing the "right thing" just alienates people and poisons the well for genuinely needed improvements. Urbanists aren't very good at persuading non urbanists.

Last edited:
I was poking fun at the "look me, I support sidewalks/other pet issue, love me!" We need less of that kind of urbanist activism and just because suburban Sauga doesn't always support that doesn't make them bad people. In fact branding them as this and that or not doing the "right thing" just alienates people and poisons the well for genuinely needed improvements. Urbanists aren't very good at persuading non urbanists.
I don’t particularly think the rest of Mississauga are bad people. They are going to vote for things which support their needs. I have no problem with that. Just as the people who move into mcc will vote for things which support their needs. Those needs are more in line with my wants but that doesn’t make me a saint.

Oct 31
They are moving the ramp to the hole
51646418619_6dc25db31d_b.jpg

51644933732_035aab93d9_b.jpg

51645983673_93b0949b84_b.jpg

Love seeing these notices and look forward to more in the GTA
51645983713_69ebc3ccb1_b.jpg

51646418864_961a019761_b.jpg

51646418909_fdf522b87a_b.jpg

51646618195_77cc7303ce_b.jpg

51646228613_696d15486c_b.jpg

Well, building density is only the first step. If they don't eventually turn their attention to pedestrianization, reducing 8-10 lane highways to 2-4 lanes, and building a quality public realm it will be all for nought. What good is a skyline if the only appealing places to be are indoors?

There's a reason those sidewalks are deserted. It's not like tourists are flooding into Mississauga to stroll/hang out on Hurontario .....or any street in Mississauga for that matter. Building density is STEP ONE.
I think the real problem is that we think 'complete streets' are the ideal. That is the idea that every arterial should be bike, car, transit and pedestrian friendly. This is impossible. We need arterials, and they don't need to be our pedestrian streets. Arterials should have little to no 'access' role, and pedestrian-oriented uses like retail etc should be on different streets--ones that are slower for cars, narrower and more friendly for pedestrians and cyclists. So it is not a problem that Hurontario is an arterial, it's that we didn't build fine grain streets away from arterials that are pedestrian friendly. I don't think shrinking Hurontario to 2 lanes is ever realistically going to happen. Mississauga needs arterials.

I think the real problem is that we think 'complete streets' are the ideal. That is the idea that every arterial should be bike, car, transit and pedestrian friendly. This is impossible. We need arterials, and they don't need to be our pedestrian streets. Arterials should have little to no 'access' role, and pedestrian-oriented uses like retail etc should be on different streets--ones that are slower for cars, narrower and more friendly for pedestrians and cyclists. So it is not a problem that Hurontario is an arterial, it's that we didn't build fine grain streets away from arterials that are pedestrian friendly. I don't think shrinking Hurontario to 2 lanes is ever realistically going to happen. Mississauga needs arterials.

You know, that's a very good point. Thinking about the cities where I have lived in Germany and where I currently live, they all have very walkable, cyclist-friendly areas (especially Münster, the bicycle capital of Germany), however each cities has plenty of arterials which have many lanes for cars and few pedestrians. Here in Cologne these are some roads which bring in traffic from the local Autobahn routes into the various city districts and allow for quick access across the city for cars, busses, and lorries: highways don't typically run through cities here, so arterials are very important in connecting urban and industrial centres with highways.

I think cities like Mississauga are perhaps a reversed ratio of 'complete streets' versus arterials that you'd find here. Part of the challenge is that the main square grid upon which southern Ontarian cities are built are 19th century, colonially-regimented rural roads (literally just a ruler to a map divided up) that have been directly adapted for 20th and 21st century urban development. It is so tempting to continue using perfectly straight, easily navigable routes that extend for many tens of kilometres as quasi-highways (maybe highways with traffic lights?). Canada is not only building its cities out, but also working against long-established infrastructure which isn't easy to completely reverse and start over. Many of the famously pedestrian-friendly European cities have had their previously established infrastructure dramatically destroyed by fires or (as here in German cities*) by war or historical regimes which could demolish entire areas and start anew based on a certain ideology (like Paris). Luckily, Canada is a remarkably stable country so these big events which allow a city to drastically and suddenly change its previous infrastructure don't present themselves often, if at all.**

For example, I wonder if or how already build urban sprawl could be ameliorated in the future? What changes would have to come for single family homes on big lots pushed further away from the streets to be filled in or built over?

* It is a common occurrence here in Germany when roads are being repaired or the land for new buildings is being cleared and foundations being dug that you find unexploded bombs from WW2 and the local bomb squad has to come in and evacuate the neighbourhood. I have experienced this many times myself. I often think about it when I see the photos on this forum of condo foundations being dug... that's one major delay to projects that Canadians don't have to deal with!

** Some notable exceptions might be the clearing of communities to either create social housing projects such Regent Park or to "clear up slums" such as the Ward in Toronto or Africville in Halifax.

Last edited:
Dec 2
51721811210_6fecfd03d1_b.jpg

51721595679_058c122fbb_b.jpg

51721811065_d2a8c9e0d1_b.jpg

51721181973_1f386a29b9_b.jpg

More Geothermal drilling taking place around the hole
51721595514_407a0ebe9b_b.jpg

51720937326_d170fc3172_b.jpg

51721183628_2b5ca26d55_b.jpg

51720947711_b874c1b13d_b.jpg

51720134787_ea762ea5e0_b.jpg

What is your estimation of when this will be at grade?
Hard to see in the hole and going out on the limb for April/May at grade for the first towers subject to weather. To me, the 2 cranes are for 2 towers and could be wrong.

Back