News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The paving equipment, or some of it, is now on site so I expect the paving of the 'median' will be starting in next day or so.

Most of the paving seems to be done.
From the Don Roadway.end.
PXL_20211202_215245110.NIGHT.jpg

From Booth.
PXL_20211202_214631639.jpg

So funny, I always had this idea that paving could only be done on warm sunny days. I don't know why I thought that. I guess it can be done whenever.

So did they put a layer of gravel over the dirt or can you lay the asphalt right on dirt?

I assume this is temporary right? Aren't they eventually pulling the whole middle section up?

Nevertheless very impressive.

Does anyone know why they decided against rebuilding it OVER the railroad tracks? (Instead of taking up valuable land)

Dec 7
The Don Roadway south of the Lake Shore is dug up and block off.

Can make a left turn off Saulter St S.

Underground work taking place in the current eastbound lanes

Still looks like another coat of asphalt is needed in places as well being pave.

Still 2 lanes going west and backup 2 blocks before I could turn onto the DVP.

Electronic signs up advising the bike trail and bridge close starting Dec 9.

Did not see signs for drivers, then only did a short trip going west after doing a block going east and a U turn.

Hi new user :)

Could Traffic issues be resolved if the onramps to the Gardiner had their own right of way and pedestrian traffic was separated?

All on and off ramps are already their own right of way with pedestrian access illegal.
I think he means the intersections at grade - i.e. if you remove pedestrians from the intersections accessing the ramps would they operate better.

They would operate better, but it wouldn't get rid of the traffic and it would be a huge barrier for pedestrians so it's not practical nor desirable. Part of driving downtown is that it isn't as fast as the suburbs, and there is good reason for that.

Does anyone know why they decided against rebuilding it OVER the railroad tracks? (Instead of taking up valuable land)
If you mean the Harbour Lead rail line that runs (ran) on the northside of the Martin Goodman Trail and then in the median of Lake Shore Blvd until it went to Ashbridges Bay Sewage Treatment plant and further west, the answer is that that rail line is 99.9% certain to be officially abandoned and the space north of the MGT will become developable. Take a look at the plans and renderings for Lake Shore East. The current temporary paving etc is to allow them to work on the south side of the new Lake Shore Blvd East - when THAT is done they will tear this all up and move to the north side, by then the City and Ports Toronto ought to have made up their minds about the rail line. (Though I think it is virtually certain it's going!)

I think he means the intersections at grade - i.e. if you remove pedestrians from the intersections accessing the ramps would they operate better.

They would operate better, but it wouldn't get rid of the traffic and it would be a huge barrier for pedestrians so it's not practical nor desirable. Part of driving downtown is that it isn't as fast as the suburbs, and there is good reason for that.
I was thinking like to cross lakeshore and Gardiner can be a small pedestrian tunnel at York and Spadina which I think be way safer and allow traffic a direct right of way onto the Gardiner.

and its not so much to benefit cars, its just that these cars just clog downtown south of King every day making into a huge parking lot.

Like in Montreal the entrances to the 720 are right of way.

Idk, I just think the current situation is bad for pedestrians and cars :)

Maybe there better solution?

Last edited:
If you mean the Harbour Lead rail line that runs (ran) on the northside of the Martin Goodman Trail and then in the median of Lake Shore Blvd until it went to Ashbridges Bay Sewage Treatment plant and further west, the answer is that that rail line is 99.9% certain to be officially abandoned and the space north of the MGT will become developable. Take a look at the plans and renderings for Lake Shore East. The current temporary paving etc is to allow them to work on the south side of the new Lake Shore Blvd East - when THAT is done they will tear this all up and move to the north side, by then the City and Ports Toronto ought to have made up their minds about the rail line. (Though I think it is virtually certain it's going!)
Thanks for the info but I meant building the Gardiner to DVP section over the Metrolinx RoW, I should have replied to the image on the previous page.

Reactions: DSC
I was thinking like to cross lakeshore and Gardiner can be a small pedestrian tunnel at York and Spadina which I think be way safer and allow traffic a direct right of way onto the Gardiner.

Pedestrian tunnels are great at keeping people safe from cars, but terrible at keeping them safe from each other. The short-lived Paton Rd pedestrian tunnel under the Barrie Line is proof of that. I think smarter traffic lights with more (and more flexible!) phases is the way to go, but historically the city has been very reluctant to do that, even for mass transit (I'm looking at you Eglinton Crosstown...) :-(

Pedestrian tunnels are great at keeping people safe from cars, but terrible at keeping them safe from each other. The short-lived Paton Rd pedestrian tunnel under the Barrie Line is proof of that. I think smarter traffic lights with more (and more flexible!) phases is the way to go, but historically the city has been very reluctant to do that, even for mass transit (I'm looking at you Eglinton Crosstown...) :-(
Well maybe a police station could be built next door? The Portlands will likely need one eventually. Half sarcastic.

Back